• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ XJ's with Factory CD Changer?

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
All:

I'm trying to find info on the stereo used for 99+ XJ's with the factory changer. Does anyone have a pic of their stereo? I know what the ZJ Infinity stereo looks like up to '98 (with the big EQ on it). I'm wondering if the stereo changed after that. I searched through ebay and only found a few 'square face' stereos with the older round changer port.

The infinity stereo found in the ZJ looks more dated than the factory tape/cd head unit in my '99 XJ. I was wondering if they changed the design for the late model XJ's.

I have everything needed to put a 2002 RBK (round face factory unit) into my XJ. It fits okay, but an older square face unit would look better. I need the changer port for my ipod. Plus the newer stereos put out more amps (RBK = 66w).

Could you post a pic of your head unit?

Was it this one?

cd.jpg

I'm not worried about the size. I'm just trying to figure out what it looks like... I dont' want to hunt around on ebay for a radio that doesn't really exist.

In terms of fitment, the only thing that you need to watch out for is the location of the mounting tabs. Some chryco vehicles had a on the top (right side) rather than on the right (at the top).

Also, some chrysler radios had red lettering. Something to think about if anyone wanted to switch to red ligthing in their XJ...

Thanks TheBrick. You upgraded to the stereo that came with my XJ from the factory. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a CD Changer port on it.

As far as I can tell, Chrysler didn't make a square face stereo with CD player in the head unit AND a changer port on the back. I've located several square face head units with tape decks and changer ports. I want the changer port for the Ipod, with CD access on the head unit. It looks like I'll be swapping in the RBK after all...

For the record, I think I answered my own question about the 99+ XJ's with changers. They came with this tape deck with the changer port on the back...

Example:
Ebay Item 110043380062

I know that the 97+ XJ had an optional 6 disc changer but I don't know what headunit it plugged into.
Here's where it mounted: (this one has an aftermarket changer in it)

xj_0cd_changer_box.jpg

i looked in an old accessory catalog, and there isn't a cd player listed for the xj with a port to directly plug in a changer. the changer they show to use with any of the xj radios is an "fm modulated cd changer kit".

Straight from the accessories catalog:

RAS: AM/FM cassette radio
RBR: AM/FM CD w/3 band EQ
RAZ: AM/FM cassette & CD w/3 abnd EQ
RBN: AM/FM cassette w/5 band EQ & integrated CD changer controls

The RBN unit doesn't have a CD player in the head unit but it DOES have a plug in for the OEM CD changer: NOT FM modulated.

I would use an aftermarket one.

IMHO..not worth the trouble. Any unit from sony, alpine, etc. are superior.

My factory premium with equalizer checked out twice and is sitting in my garage unused (CD part won't work). I have the RAZ model. Replaced with a digital Sony.

Todd:

Thanks for pulling through for me once again. I think that I can stick to the conclusion that there are no square face CD players with a changer port on the back. It looks like ebay link that I posted above is an RBN. It's interesting that they used the same sales codes, even though the part numbers on the radios changed. The latest RBN has a round face... (http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_rbn.jpg)

AlohaBra:

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll be sticking with factory equipment. I have 130k miles on my RAZ unit now, and it still works great. You certainly get more for your money when you shop aftermarket, but I want the jeep to look stock. I'll be putting an RBK stereo into the factory location. It doesn't look stock, but it's still a chrysler head unit. I'll post a writeup when I'm done...

What all did it take to install the RBK

It required the following:

Mopar factory radio update wiring harness: P/N 82207541 (dealer $26).
RBK Radio (local ebay $23).
Dodge Ram radio bezel: (free with radio).
12" Aluminum 'angle iron'. (parts bin ~$5).

I installed this in conjunction with a Peripheral Ipod2Car interface that I purchased off ebay for $50 shipped. Everything is working as expected. I'm still finalizing the stereo mount. I'll be switching from aluminum angle to steel. I'll post a writeup sometime this week...

Markos said:
Thanks for the suggestion but I'll be sticking with factory equipment. I have 130k miles on my RAZ unit now, and it still works great. You certainly get more for your money when you shop aftermarket, but I want the jeep to look stock. I'll be putting an RBK stereo into the factory location. It doesn't look stock, but it's still a chrysler head unit. I'll post a writeup when I'm done...

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I suppose. My factory in-dash CD-changer in my '03 PT Cruiser lasted exactly.... oh, wait! That's right... it was broken when the salesman attempted to show me how it worked... Dead, right from the factory.

And the warranty replacement sounded lousy forever after.

My factory radio in the XJ lasted about a month before I couldn't stand it anymore, and replaced it. I kept the original, in case I needed to put it back in at the end of the lease.... but it's sold now.

Den

Originally posted by DenLip - Southwest PA
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks

I'll put it a different perspective for you. I have other motivations other than factory performance and longevity... :)

Granted, this is vehicle thefts, not break ins. Break-ins are off the charts here though...

Auto theft rates and rankings by city

Metro area 2004 thefts Rate

Phoenix-Mesa, AZ 40,371 1,241.47
2004 - 4
2003 - 2
2002 - 1

Pittsburgh, PA 5,131 217.54
2004 - 218
2003 - 222
2002 - 201

Markos said:
Originally posted by DenLip - Southwest PA

I'll put it a different perspective for you. I have other motivations other than factory performance and longevity... :)

Granted, this is vehicle thefts, not break ins. Break-ins are off the charts here though...

Auto theft rates and rankings by city

Metro area 2004 thefts Rate

Phoenix-Mesa, AZ 40,371 1,241.47
2004 - 4
2003 - 2
2002 - 1

Pittsburgh, PA 5,131 217.54
2004 - 218
2003 - 222
2002 - 201

Eeek. Ok. I get your drift. I don't like driving into Pittsburgh proper, because of high theft... !!

Den

Back