• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 231 oil Q (kind of urgent)

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Ok, the FSM says Dexron II, the manual says Dexron III and the dealer claims it can only be ATF +4....... WTF???? I'd like to run Mobile I which is Dexron III but if either one of the other ones is better for it (more appropriate) I'll do that.... but now... I'm just plain confused...

Btw, it's kind of urgent as I will be refilling it tomorrow (got it drained today so that I can remove it)
Kejtar

Isn't ATF+4 the 'other' kind? There was just a big roundy-round about this a littel while ago, with semi-literate grease monkeys saying something like "we always use that"....anyhow, Owner's Manual in my 96 says Dexron/Mercon III so that's what I've been running in it for the 86,000 miles I've had it. Did the same in my 89 as well...

Dexron III is backwards-compatible with Dexron II anyway.

I've been running Mobil 1 in mine since I bought it, and havn't had any problems with it. When I pulled it apart to do the SYE it looked clean.

I second what the previous posters have said. The Mobile 1 M/D III will work fine. The ATF+4 would probably work OK too, since the transfer case fluid type isn't as critical as the transmission type is.

You made the right choice, as that ATF+4 stuff can only be purchased from the stealership! My wifes new WJ, requires ATF+4 in both the tranny and the tcase (NV242). Just picked up the ATF+4 at the stealership last Sat. The liquid gold cost $28.50 per gallon or just a tad over $7/qt. I don't mind paying the asking price for Mobile ! ATF, but this ATF+4 stuff isn't even synthetic. But apparently it is the only thing that will keep the new DimeStore Chrysler auto trannies happy. Sure am glad my old XJ takes ATF that can be purchased at any parts store.

Back