• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing NEED ADVISE

seabass1858

NAXJA Forum User
I am towing a car that weighs 2800lbs with a 95xj 4.0l aw4, but the xj has a trans cooler and 3.73 gears on 29in bfgs. I am towing this car 800 miles to my new duty station. Would this be ok knowing that the jeep is already set up for towing. Would this be ok.

for starters i think you should factor in how much the trailor weighs (or car dolly or whatever you're using) and be sure your brakes are up to the task. what kind of terrian will you be hitting? it wouldn't be a big deal if its mild land with maybe some rolling hills.

Keep you speeds low as the car,trailer, and gear are going to be a load on it. I'd be a little wary of the braking aspect. Does the tow dolly have brakes? Also be sure to tow it in 3rd gear. Putting it in overdrive will cook the trans fluid quite a bit. Good luck and safe travels.

Back