• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advise on buying this Jeep

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I decided to sell the old XJ and get one with the Chrysler 8.25. I came across this one:

$3000
1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD.
124K miles.
AW4
31" Tires
Aftermarket roof rack
Dent in right fender

The owner says that it needs a new Catylitic converter and Xfer case. I am planning on installing a 4.5" RE Superflex lift on it, so I'm going to have to put in the SYE. So my question is would it be difficult to rebuild the Xfercase when I'm installing the SYE? I'm thinking with those problems $3000 is a bit much, what do y'all think?

py0M859416v7qYOebk4GXa5jz5LF.jpg

the cat is easy, shouldnt run more than a couple hundred installed. depends on whats wrong with the tcase, could be something easy, could be something hard. did the seller tell you what it was doing? can you drive it in 2wd? at any rate you should be able to find a tcase somewhere for 2-300 (ebay, etc.). I think its pobably a good deal. I paid that for my 94 a year ago w/ 176k.

~sm

It is drivable in 2wd, but he didn't say exactly what was wrong with it, just that he had it rebuilt a while back and the shop who did it didn't put fluid in it.

I'm not too worried about the cat.

If you're going to put in an SYE, you're going to have to open the transfercase anyway and take things apart. A rebuild kit for the t-case is about $100. I will tell you from past experience however that if you've never done this operation before it would be helpful to get the assistance from someone who has. I know there are some folks that can take apart a t-case with their eyes closed but there are alot of parts and and its easy to put things back together wrong. I would take lots of pictures as you disassemble so you can see how it all goes back together again even if you don't rebuild but just install the SYE.

As far as the price of the vehicle goes, I'd say that sounds reasonable if the interior is in good shape AND he fixes the T-Case. When I inspected my ZJ for purchase it was in great shape but I discovered that the A/C was only coming out at the floor. I told him I would buy it if he fixed that. The repair ended up costing over $800. Its great that your owner was honest enough to disclose the malfunction, but for the price he's asking it should be in working order. Second, I've learned a life lesson that its better NOT to buy a Jeep that has been wheeled. Wheeling is hard on a Jeep and may be why the t-case needed a rebuild before 120,000 miles. It may also be indicative how hard the transmission has been used. Lastly, wheelers are usually wrenchers and if you don't know what they've done, you could be buying a timebomb. The prior owner of the aforementioned ZJ put a kill switch in it going to the fuel pump. Guess whos fuel pump died at 110,00 miles and had a series of electrical problems until a local mechanic figured it all out. It was due to all of the wiring crap he had installed which wreeked havoc on the computer. OK,... more than you expected but also,..

if you're planning on replacing the lift, the fact that this Jeep is lifted is meaningless other than being an eyecatcher. Sorry I went off. These things have been in the back of my mind I guess. Just take it for what its worth and good luck withe your decision.

Last edited:
Yardape:

Don't worry about venting...I know the feeling of frustration when you buy something you think is one thing and it is something comletely different. Anyway, thanks for the advice (vs advise like in my thread; who needs grammer lessons!).

Maybe if I can get him down to 2200-2500 get it.

A final thought,... go to www.cars.com and see what the price of Jeeps of similar vintage in your Zip Code are selling for. That will give you the best idea aside from the T-Case issue, what that Jeep is truly worth.

Back