• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 XJ Wagoneer Steering Column Loose

mcnamaag

NAXJA Forum User
My steering column is loose at the tilt mech. I tried to tighten but it did not help any ideas.

all the older gm's(same column) do this. the 3(?) little torx bolts that hold the tilt mechanism to the bottom of the column back out. take it apart, loctite them, and put 'em back in. kind of a pita to get to them, but i cannot stand driving around with the column flopping around.

Ten High said:
all the older gm's(same column) do this. the 3(?) little torx bolts that hold the tilt mechanism to the bottom of the column back out. take it apart, loctite them, and put 'em back in. kind of a pita to get to them, but i cannot stand driving around with the column flopping around.
Thanks for the info. I have 2 XJ's with loose columns. On my 89 I just changed the whole column. Bit of a hassle. Maybe on the other one will open it up.

THANKS!!!! I tore my column down ALL OF THE WAY this time DUH and sure enuff 4 loose torx bolts. Loctite, good to go. Thanks folks a real help. Oh and dont forget the 2 tilt dow pins. PITA to get out. Had to make a puller out of a old junk-o-flex socket and a 8-32# bolt nut and washer. But other than that not bad, just a little time effert.

lisle tool co. makes a little pin remover tool for that purpose, it's really cheap and makes the job about 600 million times easier. part # 19940

Back