• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch issues

Mudboy

NAXJA Forum User
Damn stupid hydraulic clutches. Never had one in a wheeling vehicle before. Yesterday I was driving the jeep and it was a hell of alot harder to go into gear than usual, I also noticed that the clutch was engaging at alot lower pedal height than usual. So I pulled into Pep Boys and noticed my fluid reservoir was extremely low, almost empty. So obviously I got some kind of leak somewheres. I have not been able to identify where though. Well anyways I got some dot3 brake fluid and filled the reservoir in hopes of not having to bleed it. Well, of course it did not go as planned I finished doing what I had to do and stopped at my buddies shop to use his tools and had him pump the pedal for me to bleed it.. Every time we'd pump the pedal hold it and release pressure, it got worse, to the point where I had no pedal at all. looking under the Dash you can see someone had pedal assembly issues before with some crap welded and also the assembly is real loose under there. After playing with the rod that goes into the clutch master cylinder, i was able to get some pedal back but not enough. It doesn't seem as if when you push the pedal all the way down, the rod goes all the way into the master. I know this is an issue, however it worked up until yesterday. I'm in the process of looking for an assembly now. What I need to know is, do you think I may have messed up the master cylinder with the beat assembly? I also am curious to if the pedal assembly out of a wrangler is the same as a xj. there were alot more yjs and tjs with manual trans than there were xjs. thanks for reading.

Paragraphs.....

It'd also help to list what year and engine you have. Internal vs. external slave, BA10/5, AX15, AX5, ?

It's very possible the bad assembly will beat up the MC. My son just went through this with his 96. The lever that pushes the MC rod was poorly welded, and bent, and as a result, it cocked the rod as it went into the MC, and eventually wore the bore, so that it would intermittently drop to the floor, but also intermittently lock up. That, of course, ended up making it bend worse, and round and round we go. He unbent the part and got it welded, but also had to get a new MC. It's fine now, as far as I know. If you take the assembly apart, you may find that it's not that hard to put right. If someone previously tried welding it in place, they may just have gotten it wrong. There is, after all, a considerable possibility that you are smarter than the person who came before.

I have no idea whether other assemblies will fit. You should know, however, that although Jeep only sells the complete hydraulics, you can get individual parts on the aftermarket.

That's some good info.

I'm pretty sure that you've got an internal slave. You should be able to get just the master cylinder, but you'll have to bleed the circuit. Hopefully, the bleeder screw isn't frozen. Matthew's info should also be taken to heart.

Yes I definately got a internal slave. I attempted to bleed it yesterday, the bleeder is free. When we would pump the pedal and crack the bleeder, it progressively got worse to the point of having no pedal. After playing with the rod that goes into the master I finally got some pedal, but only enough to disengauge what felt about half way.

Is this the same Mudboy who drove to WV to wheel with us last year?

I was having a similar problem. I replaced the slave cylinder (mine is external) and the problem seems to be getting better.

Yeah it me lol. I got another xj, 2dr 5spd this time. the old one that you saw I ended up selling to my buddy who has it on 35x15.50 tsls now.

back to the clutch. I let it sit overnight and my clutch is back.
I'm guessing it sorta gravity bled itself or something. I noticed this last night so when I get home I'll try to find the leak.

thanks on the heads up on the assembly

Back