• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Swap

indyjeepnut

NAXJA Forum User
What year motors are directable exchangeable? I know that 91-95 are all the same but unsure of all the rest of the years. The long and short of thing is I have just aquired a 1998 with a bad motor. I am looking to find out what years will directly swap into that jeep?

Thanks
Indyjeepnut

So I'm in the exact same boat (right down to the year), and I'm searching this. I come across this thread, and imagine my disappointment when I find there's no answer yet. Guess I keep searching...

If you're looking for a motor that is IDENTICAL to the one in the 1998, then you'll want to look in the '96 to '98 years. Prior to '96, a different cylinder head was used (casting #7120), but I believe that this head will bolt directly to the intake/exhaust manifold of any year 4.0L. After '99 ('00 and '01 model years), the cylinder head was changed again for the much less desirable 0331 casting, which has shown a high rate of failure (it cracks between the 3 and 4 exhaust valves). There is something about the '99 year that is different than all of the others but I'm not quite sure what it is.

As long as a lot of the connecting parts on the '98 motor are good (sensors, manifolds, brackets, etc), you should be able to swap them over if you run into any issues.

I've also heard that Wrangler 4.0L engines have slightly different mounting holes on their blocks, but I'm not sure if this is true or not. I'll be acquiring a '00 TJ engine in a couple weeks so I could verify that information then, but I'm sure someone else will chime in before that.

Last edited:
i just replaced my 1993 motor with one out of a 1998. so I can tell you it bolted right in. I reused my intake and exhaust manifolds ,starter alternator oil pressure switch-plug was different,reused my distributor,because the plug was different. Basically the long block and all mounts are the same. the bolt on items are different.:spin1:

Back