• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

URGENT T-case help!!

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hye gang,

I know this is tech but I am posting in local chapter to hopefully get soem advice and maybe some help.

I got my 99 lifted and installed the SYE. I went to pull it out for a test drive today and the dang t-caser will not shift gears. I can disconnect the linkage and move the selector by hand, but it will not stay.

I am afraid I will have to pull the t-case and tear it apart. I had help installing the SYE and things went well.

I don't know what to check.

Any help, physically or words of wisdom is greatly appreciated!

BTW - 99 AW4 & NP231

is it the same t case as before or a different one that you installed the SYE on? if its different the splines may be different. im not a t case guy but tring to offer some assistance. hit up justin aka xjeeper19 he built mine, he knows all about this stuff

Hye gang,

I know this is tech but I am posting in local chapter to hopefully get soem advice and maybe some help.

I got my 99 lifted and installed the SYE. I went to pull it out for a test drive today and the dang t-caser will not shift gears. I can disconnect the linkage and move the selector by hand, but it will not stay.
I am afraid I will have to pull the t-case and tear it apart. I had help installing the SYE and things went well.

I don't know what to check.

Any help, physically or words of wisdom is greatly appreciated!

BTW - 99 AW4 & NP231

Do you mean it will not stay in gear when shifted by hand.........or do you mean when you shift it by hand it won't stay in gear when you hook up the linkage?

The bell crank under the floor can get out of position, check that. Also the plastic bushings in the shift tabs, both t-case, bell crank, and shift lever, can wear and be a problem. New bushings can be bought at the dealership for a few dollars.

I believe possibly cheaper and simpler than the Novak shift kit, I simply used some 7/16" bolts and washers, 7/16" female rod ends, and 7/16" all thread to make two new shift linkage rods. Bolted them up to the stock tabs and it has worked perfectly ever since, especially with the extra position of the 2 low.

Do you mean it will not stay in gear when shifted by hand.........or do you mean when you shift it by hand it won't stay in gear when you hook up the linkage?

The bell crank under the floor can get out of position, check that. Also the plastic bushings in the shift tabs, both t-case, bell crank, and shift lever, can wear and be a problem. New bushings can be bought at the dealership for a few dollars.

I believe possibly cheaper and simpler than the Novak shift kit, I simply used some 7/16" bolts and washers, 7/16" female rod ends, and 7/16" all thread to make two new shift linkage rods. Bolted them up to the stock tabs and it has worked perfectly ever since, especially with the extra position of the 2 low.

With the linkage disconnected, I can move the shift the t-case by hand.

The linkage looks fine, just about 1" too short!

I like the make your own idea! I was thinking of something like that!

I will get back under it tonight. I want to get this thing fixed so I can drive my Jeep!

This may be an obvious question, did you have a tc drop installed before?

His before Jeep is currently in a junkyard and he sold his old Tcase with SYE.

With the linkage disconnected, I can move the shift the t-case by hand.

The linkage looks fine, just about 1" too short!

I like the make your own idea! I was thinking of something like that!

I will get back under it tonight. I want to get this thing fixed so I can drive my Jeep!

Get the Novak shifter as someone suggested: best $ I ever spent on the jeep ;)

Get the Novak shifter as someone suggested: best $ I ever spent on the jeep ;)

Where is a good place to get it? How much is it?

I will search on it tonight from home.

Back