• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ign switch?

xtp45lc

NAXJA Forum User
working on an '88 wagon. noticed today the jeep turned over a little slower than usual.this afternoon it died while idleing,and then wouldnt turn over.when I turned the key to start position I could hear the fuel pump but not in run position,and the starter did not turn over.I am thinking the fuel pump should be running anytime the key is on,and it only running in start position is indicating a bad ign switch.this would also make it die,were as a NSS would not,nor would bad starter,etc.-does anyone have other ideas this could be? I dont want to toss money at it if there are other things I might check.thanks,Steve

Your fuel pump will cycle when you 1st turn the key on. It will not run again until the oil pressure switch senses that the motor has oil pressure (safety feature that keeps the fuel pump from running nonstop in case of a major leak, rollover, etc...). I would check battery and cables 1st, and go from there...

Back to basics time--charge the battery and have it load tested, while charging clean all cable ends. Once the battery is fully charged, overnight good/24 hours better, have it load tested.

If it still "cranks a little slow" your starter may be on its last leg.

Fix the "heart" of your system or you are wasting your time looking for other faults.

the easier stuff would be great vs dropping the column agian but still,I wonder.the cables were tight-battery is suspect but lights didnt dim when trying to turn it over.the starter motor (or battery) I hadent considered as it just died which it never does.a bad starter wouldnt kill it to begin with would it? I will be charging the battery today and working on the jeep tonight.will check back,thanks!

good luck mines doin the same thing. on guy said to replace the starter reay . it helped for a min and then it stoped working again you might look there . it the deal with all the wires coming off of it and the wire off the bat going to it .

Back