• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

differences in 4.0s over the years

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
I'm just curious if there were any cam/ degree changes in the 4.0's in the last few years of it's run.

I've got a 95 cherokee that has pretty bad rod knock. Got a buddy who is offering me a free 05 4.0 (out of a wrangler)

I plan on using intake, exhaust, and all sensors from the 95. Just want to make sure the long block stayed the same.
Thanks.

Mounting points for bracket may/probably are different. But otherwise it should work.

I'd definitely use all the sensors, but try like heck to keep the 05 manifolds and head. Basically just put it in and get the MPFI stuff on.

The later model head is a high port model matched to the rainbow manifold, and the high port exhaust has a split manifold. The whole set up is worth a few HP over the 95's. Some object to the exhaust ports being smaller - but they are basically raised and filled to improve velocity, not size. It corrected a dead space. The later block also has the NVH girdle on the mains, and the oil filter boss is at a different angle.

There are other bolt hole changes to be aware of, and some discussion of whether the later model will take early motor mounts on strokermotors. Pictures seem to show it might be ok - but YMMV, be aware.

Like all 4.0's, there are slight differences as it was subject to periodic product improvement.

You'll need to swap the ECM and possibly some of the wiring harness as well, not sure how the chassis wiring harness+console and the engine wiring harness+PCM are going to get along. I know for a fact you're going to have fuel gauge issues, the 97+ fuel gauge senders are a single variable resistor with two wires while the pre-97 uses a pair of variable resistors with some terminals grounded and 3 signal wires. Not sure if this is true on the Wrangler but I'd bet on it, as they use the same style fuel pump and retention nut ring iirc.

Don't have the intake or exhaust manifold. Only the long block. I just want to see if I can pul the old long block and drop this in. It's a DD for a friend who doesn't have a Jeep yet (poor guy) so I'm helping him out.

Short answer is no. They won't swap in with out major changes to where everything mounts. Nothing matched up and a major mounting point for the alternator on the side of the timing cover was not on the 2005 4.0. So I'm hunting for another engine.

Back