• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper/Cruise/signal lever GM on 1992?

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

My signal/cruise/wiper level is broken. Given the construction I expect this is not a very uncommon failure (although I have so far not seen anybody throwing water over his windshield using a bottle from the open window to rinse the dust off, as I've been doing for the last few days:)).

Anyway, wanted to get another one before taking it off. I found one that looks very much as what's in the car, but it's GM? Is the column in the jeep from GM? This is the lever I saw

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Electrical/-/-/PLP2310850?source=google

which looks a lot the same. The list of models that it should fit supplied on that website does however not include the jeep. Is this the right part nonetheless? Other places to shop?

Are there any writeups on how to replace that lever or is that really straightforward?

Thanks,

Tim

Looks like the one on my 92. I believe the column is GM. Sure others will chime in when they wake up. JIM.

Get used to driving around with a bicycle water bottle fliled with washer fluid. they work pretty well, actually.

For my 94, the part number for that is 5600 4595, and it's $50 from the dealer, or 10 at the junkyard.

Haha, well those bottles do a pretty good job, true. Still think it would be nice to at some point use the wiper gadget that came with the car again. Checked out the local pick & pull this weekend (also for other stuff), but they didn't have any cherokees. So maybe, if it's a GM part, I can go back and widen my scope a little to check out the GM cars? I wasn't aware of this before. There should be plenty of those around.

It's just, if I can get a new one for around $20-$25, I'm fine with that. The stealership is not gonna shake me for a $50 for this. Then I'll keep the bottle:). So you think the above part is the right one (link in my first post)?

Tim

Yep, I'm sure. The lever is physically broken at the column so I cannot activate the washer switch anymore. It was like this for a while but with push-turn action I was still able to get it to work since the rupture was rough enough. Now it got so smooth (due to my push-turning) that the game is over and I had to pull out the infamous bottle:).

Thanks for the e-bay pointer! That's the same device I found but cheaper. WIll put in my bid!

Tim

the jeep levers are indeed the same thing as the gm's. the only difference is the style of the wire connector at the end off the pigtail for the cruise control. look at yours and the one you intend to buy, and make sure they're the same.

I have a 92 that came w/no tilt cruise or int wipe w/ax15. I installed an 89 collum with everything and it all worked. When my stalk broke i used one from an 87 and it worked. So did a 95 lever in an 88 MJ. They all looked the same, just that some where black and some crome.

Back