• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Radials Vs Trailer Bias Tires

DeathValleyPaul

NAXJA Forum User
For a two axle car trailer, which is better. Please answer from your own experience, as trailer tires are very different in composition and load than car or LT tires. Has anyone switched from one type to the other and found they were happier?

I just recently from bias to Maxxis M8008 radials and honestly there is a night and day difference on ride quality. The radials seem to track better and feel smoother. Im happy with my choice.

I did quite a bit of research on the subject and Maxxis M8008 by far had the best reviews of any radial.

Radial for sure. I run the same tire Matty just bought, they are the best I have been able to find. They come in more sizes and ratings then you will find with any other manufacture. I have sold many sets and everyone has been very happy.

When I bought my new trailer last year the first thing I did was remove the stock tires from China. I gave them to a friend who blew 3 of the 4 tires in a couple of months. What is up with some of the crap out there.

A bias tire has a life span of 5,000-8,000 miles (Shorter if the tire is being ran at capacity). Radial tires last much longer. Radial will track better and won't want to follow the cracks in the road. I sell the Transmaster brand of tires and have been very happy with them (They actually are made from the same mold as the Goodyear Marathons). They have a nationwide warranty program just in case. I have had only 1 tire come back this year with them. Considering the volume I sell that's pretty darn good.

A bias tire has a life span of 5,000-8,000 miles (Shorter if the tire is being ran at capacity). Radial tires last much longer. Radial will track better and won't want to follow the cracks in the road. I sell the Transmaster brand of tires and have been very happy with them (They actually are made from the same mold as the Goodyear Marathons). They have a nationwide warranty program just in case. I have had only 1 tire come back this year with them. Considering the volume I sell that's pretty darn good.

I had no idea that they were only good for 5000-8000,thats about all i get out of a set. The Carlile that my Big Tex orginally came with were the worst......SANTA

I had no idea that they were only good for 5000-8000,thats about all i get out of a set. The Carlile that my Big Tex orginally came with were the worst......SANTA

x2

That explains a lot.

Carlisle's are the worst....... One of the most inexpensive tires out there.....And boy do they have a reputation.

I kept wearing out bias plys, they would continually wear uneven and early. Switched to radials and there's no uneven tire wear and they aren't showing any wear at all.

Brand can be questionable, many are made by the same few manufacturers with different names. The last ones I got were Maxxis and they look pretty good.

I have been thru a few different brands on both my car trailer and my 30ft travel trailer. I have a local source that sells the trailmaster branded radials and they come in a D and E rated with the smaller 15's even. goodyear do not have the higher rating or the maxis unless you go up to 16's (unless they started something new in the last few months).

I think I pay 59$ for a 205/75 (or 70 I forget) 15 Erated.

Maxxis has 15 in C, D, E rated radials.

Maybe it was the 225 or larger sizing? I just know that maxxis didnt have a E for my size 15". I had to go larger

We've been using stock gm 2500hd take offs on our race trailers, no issues through 3 seasons of going to Mexico and all over the southwest.

Back