• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust question for the GoFast crowd

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
what kind of mounting and or hangers do you guys use to mount your exhaust? anything special to handle the elevated levels of vibration and stress?

Nothing special.
Pretty much the stock hangers up front.(back to the Cat.) We have the exhaust exit in front of the R.R. tire, held up by a couple of those universal clamp on rubber strap hangers that are available at any auto parts store.

Ours is solid mounted as well, but only to the power train. The chassis see different kinds of flexing compared to the power train, and that's where your issues will pop up.

-Dan

everything in our JS is solid mounted; engine trans and exhaust

Ours is solid mounted as well, but only to the power train. The chassis see different kinds of flexing compared to the power train, and that's where your issues will pop up.

-Dan

you are saying that all mounts and bushings are non flexable (either steel or heim/flex)? how much vibration does that transmit? of course those vibrations could be the least of your worries

Nothing special.
Pretty much the stock hangers up front.(back to the Cat.) We have the exhaust exit in front of the R.R. tire, held up by a couple of those universal clamp on rubber strap hangers that are available at any auto parts store.
pic of how it's run? I've though of that but am unsure how it be best run

pic of how it's run? I've though of that but am unsure how it be best run
The exhaust routing we used probably isn't what you'd want to use on a trail rig. The pipe is just turned out behind the muffler, straight under the frame and out the side. Exits about a foot and a half forward of the rear tire. As the truck never sees anything like trail obstacles, we don't have to worry about the pipe getting crushed on a rock. To be honest, it could be tucked up 2 or 3 inches. The best pic I have of the at side of the truck only shows the tip. No shots of the under truck exhaust piping.
For what it's worth, here's a side shot
Exhausttip.png

For a trail rig, I'd keep the full length pipe and run it out the back. Too many rocks, stumps, etc manage to peal everything off below the rockers.

Back