• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans sticks in OD on pedal release

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
In the past, when I'm in OD if I let off the gas all the way, the RPMs would drop and the TQ would unlock.
Lately, it stays in OD and won't unlock (coasting) till 30-35 sometimes, but a tiny tap of the brake pedal unlocks it and it drops to idle. Without the brake tap, it's like cruise control is on, like I'm still giving it a bit of gas.
What gives??
96XJ AW4 146k

Is your check engine light on at all. I would check your tps to make sure it is in spec.

No CEL, no codes. It was a bit low on tran fluid though.Fluid was brown-red. Changed it out with ATF4 (think I used using dex/merc b4...all I had) and topped it off today. I'm hitting Barlow Road tomorrow. We'll see if it does better on the way up Hood.
If not how would I go about checking the TPS? No multimeter.
Any place that does it gratis, or I could by someone a few brews to check it for me...still a little intimidated by electrical.
thanks for the help btw!
I was kinda leaning towards the TPS but don't want to throw money at it if I can get it scoped.

ATF +4 in the AW4 is one of those touchy subjects.

ATF +4 is meant for CHRYSLER auto transmissions, and the AW4 is not a chrysler box.

Until mid 2006 the AW4 was specifically left off of the list of chrysler vehicles that could use ATF +4, and then there was a magical change to the list.

Some have reported problems when using ATF +4 in the AW4, and others claim it is the best thing ever made.

Do a search and make up your own mind.

Low on fluid:doh:d
Problem solved! Now on to why my fan's hittin' the shroud . The engine is leaning a it to the left so I'm thinking mounts. trans looks lopsided.

Low on fluid:doh:d
Problem solved! Now on to why my fan's hittin' the shroud . The engine is leaning a it to the left so I'm thinking mounts. trans looks lopsided.

Back