• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 NP231 Transfer case drain plug size

62tmar

NAXJA Forum User
I searched using NP231, and got close. I bought a 30mm socket for the fill plug, but the drain plug is the problem.
It has an 8pt torx (sort of) slot in the center of the plug. A socket will not fit, because the bolt plug is too close to a bulge in the case.
I would like to know what size that 8pt (sort of torx) is. I have a picture, but I am not allowed to post attachments.
Thank you,
62tmar

Fill plug and drain plug are the same - you might be messing with the wrong bolt/plug! careful!

Is this what your transfer case looks like or is it different? http://www.fototime.com/03C570A95ED2771/standard.jpg

Try posting the image on imageshack or photobucket and posting a URL here - should work.

You might have a NP207.

Try an open-end 1 3/16 wrench.

1987 could have either 207 or 231 part-time 4x4, and that doesn't look like my 231.

Can you fit a 3/8" drive into that plug?

That is one nice looking 87, and it is in MN?!?!?

joe_peters,
Thank you very much, saved me from buying another tool. The 3/8 worked very well.
Back to the "Old-Folks Home" for me.
62tmar

Back