• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ surge/hesitation under acceleration

Osmosisfrank

NAXJA Forum User
The final problem to deal with on my '99 is surge and hesitation under acceleration. I've read some threads on the forum, but haven't had any luck yet.
At WOT, generally between 3,000 to 4,000 RPMs, the Jeep seems to cut ignition til it drops to 3k, then picks up til it hits 4k, then repeats. I can hit a max speed of 65 MPH. The problem persists whether the engine is cold or has been running for 20 minutes and is at operating temp. Last night I tried disconnecting the oxygen sensor right after the catalytic converter. No difference. My guess is that it's either the throttle position sensor, or, more likely, the cam position sensor. This is all based on what I have read here on :NAXJA:.
Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone help me diagnose it? I think a TPS is around $30, and the CPS is more because you have to replace the whole distributor? As always, any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Frank

If the distributor synch and TPS test OK, then you could have a failing fuel pump.

Hook up a gauge, tape it to the windshield so you can observe the pressure, and got out and replicate the condition.

Back