• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard pack question

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
So I need to build a new set of leaves for the back of my 89 Cherokee. I have a stock set of Cherokee springs but I'm not sure what to use as a second donor pack. My others were xj and durango leaves but it there something better to use?

Thanks

-PJ-

D10shun, did you do it like the article kept the xj main and replaced all the others with the S-10's except the overload? im looking for about 4-4.5" of lift 5" is ok too but im not sure if i want to do the 87-86 dakota leafs or the S-10 leafs

D10shun, did you do it like the article kept the xj main and replaced all the others with the S-10's except the overload? im looking for about 4-4.5" of lift 5" is ok too but im not sure if i want to do the 87-86 dakota leafs or the S-10 leafs

X2 please tell.

-PJ-

There are no set rules when it comes to making bastard packs. Use what works for you and your rig. I used S10 leafs. I don't know if they were 4x4 leaves or 2wd leaves......it dosen't matter. Find some leaves the same width and use them. It's all a trial and error process. Keep trying until you like what you see. It's just that simple. Yeah, it may take several tries to get what you want but........it's the only way to know 100% how much you'll get out of each combo. Every Jeep is different.

Last edited:
I used my main XJ leaf that was flat and warped. Under that I put the entire Dakota pack. I used the overload leaf as a block by cutting it down a little longer then the spring perch. I measured it at 4" after installing the lift. After wheeling it pretty hard a few times its at 3.5" I love the ride on and off road. Firm, not stiff.

I would use XJ leafs for bastards at that height, the average lift with donor main cut to fit pack as close to main eyes as possible and donor second cut to fit leaf pack stagger is 2.5-3".so figure a 1" shackle also and your where you want to be.search on how to prepare packs meaning cleaning,putting a radius on leafs,double lipped liner or dry poly spray to reduce friction between leafs,u bolt style leaf clamps and paint and you will have a nice riding and flexing set of leafs.after doing my own i would never buy a new pack, since you can fine tune a bastard pack to do exactly what you want.dont be afraid to use a 1/2'-1" lift block either,as long as you have another main under the xj main to support it.would not use a block under a stock leaf pack thier just to weak.

that's good guidance, I used S10 leafs, everything but the main from the S10 and it set me upwards of 5". too much for me, so I started swapping around till I got where I wanted to be. It becomes VERY easy to do, once you do the first time, so don't be afraid to swap em around and play with different combinations

Well thanks for all that help. Steve, I am unsure on what you did. Did you use all but the s10 main at first? I regularly tow a decent amount of weight in a cargo trailer so I am looking for just a little extra boost to counter all the tounge weight.

Thanks,

-PJ-

Yeah im looking for about 4.5~5.5 inches of lift.

any suggestions

id go dakota leafs, that will net you 4" then get you some longer shackles like boomerang shackles and play with how many leafs will get you the height u want and that will get you your 4.5-5.5" lift the dakota leafs are nice i can fill my xj up with all my camp gear and hardly get any sag maybe drop the rear a half inch...

u bolt clamps? umm i bought a 2" block kit before the bastard pack and so i used those, all you need is u bolts that are a lil longer, keep in mind that the dakota leafs use larger center pins so buy the center pins to fit xj leafs or you will be drilling/ grinding to make it fit

i believe he is talking about the style of leaf spring clamps that are a u shape with the bolt through the top of the "u"

oh lol im a cheap ass, i used my stock ones and did the best i could to hammer them around the leaf pack :) 5 different trail runs and about 1-2 months later... still holding strong, but i do fully intend to use those clamps you described ... maybe ones like i got now depending on if their cheaper or not

i used 94 s10 2wd. all but the overload. just cut the eyes off the s10 main and used my main. got rid of block i was useing which is a big plus. already had 1.5 inch shackles. i think its sitn at 5in of lift. as for the clamps that keep the leafs in line i just spread the s10 clamps open enough to get them over my main and squeezed them back together after i got the center bolt tightened up. use big c clamps to hold it all together and just tap with a hammer to get it all lined up. i also used the s10 center bolt. just took a chainsaw file to the hole in my main til the bolt fit.

Back