• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LP to HP driveshaft???

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, we're installing a HP D30 into my '01.....and the Driveshaft won't fit?? It's too long. I don't remember reading anything about needing a new DS?? Is this correct? or Have I missed something????????:twak:
Thank you!:D

shouldnt need to... i never had a problem when swapping from lp to hp.... just extended a little further than usual with the lp axle in.

of course i used a hp front drive shaft... i dunno if that would make a difference.

cause i swapped a lp inplace of my hp(dont ask) then back to a hp. never had a problem an any of those swaps.

i also swapped a hp30 in my tj(which was lp to start with) and didnt have a problem with the driveshaft... just seemed a little to long. but didnt bother me...

Last edited:
shouldnt need to... i never had a problem when swapping from lp to hp.... just extended a little further than usual with the lp axle in.

of course i used a hp front drive shaft... i dunno if that would make a difference.

cause i swapped a lp inplace of my hp(dont ask) then back to a hp. never had a problem an any of those swaps.

i also swapped a hp30 in my tj(which was lp to start with) and didnt have a problem with the driveshaft... just seemed a little to long. but didnt bother me...

Well, I can believe the LP shaft is longer, the LP yoke should be further away...but I didn't anticipate it not fitting?? Now this is on an '01, with 5.5 inches of lift, and fixed LCA's for a RE 3.5" lift, so I know my LCA's are short, but THAT short?? I was suprised. Now, the tracbar is not hooked up, maybe that will limit my droop? I'm concerned if I get it on, when the suspension droops, it's going to push my Tcase out the back of the truck?:scared:
Thanks for the info!

LP and HP driveshafts are the same!
BTW Chuck,saw your other post.Ive got a 95 and a 2000,both shafts carry the same part# and measure out the same!It also sounds like you dont have DB's,this means your axle is pulled way back and causing the problem.

Last edited:
BTW Chuck,saw your other post.Ive got a 95 and a 2000,both shafts carry the same part# and measure out the same!It also sounds like you dont have DB's,this means your axle is pulled way back and causing the problem.

Uh, that is the primary theory right now. Short LCA's....But that will still damage the Tcase if fully drooped, correct??:wave1:

Driveshafts are the same. I have an '01 on about 5" of lift with a HP D30 axle, adjustable control arms set to center the wheels and provide proper caster, and a stock driveshaft in front.

Pull the springs and cycle the suspension if you need to, if the shaft is somehow to long and bottoms out you'll probably bust the transfer case. Are the wheels located far back in the wheel well opening? How short are those arms?

RE fixed arms are 16-1/4".

So it's less than an inch off...I wouldn't think that would make that much difference??:dunno:

The same thing i said. Your what 1-1.5" long on the DS??

Back