• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clang after lift

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put a 2.5" lift on my XJ. I noticed when I was parking that when I hit the breaks when I was in reverse I hear a loud clanging noise from the drivers side in the area where the foot well is. Does any one have any idea what the problem could be?
Thanks

What did you do for the lift? What did you loosen up? Go over everything and tighten it all up again whether you think you got it tight or not. Did you loosen the control arms at all? Basically get back under there and look at it and re tighten everything even if you did not touch it during the lift install.

did you tighten the jam nuts with the weight off of the axles? If not then you need a REALLY big wrench to get enough torque on 'em

What did you do for the lift? What did you loosen up? Go over everything and tighten it all up again whether you think you got it tight or not. Did you loosen the control arms at all? Basically get back under there and look at it and re tighten everything even if you did not touch it during the lift install.

Its a 2.5" OME lift. I torqued every thing when I finished and then again after driving to VA and Back to NY.

I'd have to bet on trackbar bracket bolts, or possibly your sway bar end and sway bar linkage are smacking into the trackbar bracket? That was happening to me right after my linkage snapped, if you see a shiny scuffed mark where the sway bar swings along, that is your answer (or one of several)

Found a busted dust boot on the drag link at the right knuckle. I'm thinking it broke during the installation of the lift and the metal got worn on my trip to VA. I ordered a new boot to see if filling it with grease will fix it until I can afford a new drag link.

Back