• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CLICK! thats it

spat70

NAXJA Forum User
Yep thats all I get from the starter. It turned over fine before I changed the head gasket. Now the gasket is changed, plugs are out and the rockers are a little loose. The motor turns over by hand (Er breaker bar..torque wrench shows 35lbs to turn over).

Turn the key...one LOUD click then everything dies (No power)until I take the + off the batt and put it back on. I tapped the starter, then a whack, I need a bigger hammer...or a good anwser.

The motor turned a little the first time then clicked, then panic set in. I pulled the plugs and loosened the rockers and the belt. I'm stumped.

Note: New batt, fully charged 12.9 volts. connections clean, grounds all clean and tight. Lights bright, wipers go at full speed. turn key. CLICK all dead.

oh....its a 4.0, sorry to leave that detail out. Its also red with 32psi in tires and the radio is set to 104.1 cant think of anything else.

Just for grins, short across the main + and the SOL leads at the starter--that will take the starter relay and ignition switches out of the equation.

Ok..just tried that...sparky spark CLICK....nothing. Before 12.6v at starter then 0 after the sparky spark CLICK. pulled the + cable off put it back on. 12.6 v at the starter again.

Sounds like bad cables. Pull them, clean both ends and check with an ohm meter--resistance should be near zero.

That doesn't exclude the battery being bad, and if it isn't the cables have the battery load tested.

Yes it definately could. In other words amperage is where you'd be lacking. Have you thoroughly cleaned with a wire brush the connectors at the starter and battery? What about at the Power Distribution Center? My bet is on the cable connections.

Did you put the grounding strap on the block after putting the head back on?

im gonna get back at it here in a few. The ground strap at the back of the head is cleaned and tight. The battery is brand new and never used before this. I charged it @ 15 amps for a few hours.

I will take off every connection again and really clean them good. I wonder if I just got a bad batt? Hmm... when I take off the connections I will take the starter out and the Batt and get them tested so I can rule that out.

Last edited:
Ok...cleaned everything again and cut back some insulation and found a lot of corrosion. Replaced the ground cable and turned the key. Turned right over.
However when I went to check compression I get 0psi.

Closer inspection...ROCKERS ARE NOT MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I broke a timing chain or cam...this sucks. Hey can someone give me a ride to work in the morning!!!!

Back