• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
my stock 99xj cast iron header is cracked about half way around just above the down pipe. i want/need to replace the header and would like it to be a bit better performance wise, but dont wanna break the bank.

what are some good headers to consider?

also i would like to do the job myself if i can, i dont know if thers anything in particular i need to do like shut/ clamp off the fuel line. If anyone could walk me through what the job would intale i would appriciate it. Tools..... what to do/not to do.....
thanks to all for any help.

I had mine crack in the same spot on my 99. There's a million writeups on how to actually swap them in, so just search. Usually you get paper instructions when you buy one too. I got and APN header/exhaust manifold and haven't had a problem with it yet. I got it after multiple people on naxja recommended it. Look into it. Pretty great price for what you get. Comes with a warranty. Good luck.

Make sure you give your motor mounts a good look - they are probably the number 1 or 2 cause of cracked headers/exhaust manifolds....

X2 while you're in there it's worth a glance. Maybe even swap in some polly ones so you'll never have to worry about it again.

Edit: might wanna think about header wrap too... We all know the under hood temps of our xjs get pretty high, also your intake temps would go down if you wraped your headers. Food for thought. I regret not doing it first time round.

X2 while you're in there it's worth a glance. Maybe even swap in some polly ones so you'll never have to worry about it again.

Edit: might wanna think about header wrap too... We all know the under hood temps of our xjs get pretty high, also your intake temps would go down if you wraped your headers. Food for thought. I regret not doing it first time round.

I thought wrapping them would be a bad idea because water will soak into the wrap. You don't want the headers to rust away under the wrap and not know about it until it's too late.

Polly engine mounts are something you really don't want to do unless you enjoy vibrations. Nice Brown Dog or M.O.R.E rubber mounts are a big upgrade over the stock 2 piece mount design. I would highly recommend rubber mounts if you DD your Jeep, or encounter stop lights often.

I'd also recommend against this. Header wraps can absorb moisture, and can cause the system to start corroding, and I've heard of people experiencing cracked headers after a short period of use with the wrap.

APN. Best bang for the buck, I'm really happy with mine so far. I've read about them outlasting Borla and other high-enders.
I coated mine in ceramic before I put it on, BTW

Back