• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring diagram RANT!

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
So in spare time between other projects I've been trying to figure out why the singals and brake lights went out on my 95. First it was intermittent, then just a buzz, then just nothing at all. So I got out my trusty FSM, and proceeded to trouble-shoot. Easy, no? Guess again. I go through every switch, every bit, everything tests OK. I finally determine that the ping/black wire to the relay panel and brake switch is not live. Wiring diagram shows this as a straight shot, same color, etc. to the power distribution center, where there's a big fuse labeled "hazard flashers." Is there a pink and black wire there? NO. It's a black and white wire. Is there a corresponding wire at the bulkhead connector? No. Is there a pink and black wire there? Yes, but it's not connected, apparently, at either end. Apparently, these wires just vanish into the harness and never come out the other side. I can make it all work by simply jumpering a hot line to the relay panel, which is what I guess I'll do, but I just wanted to rant about the obscure, multi-page, mislabeled and unfathomable wiring diagrams in Jeep FSM's. I know it can be done better, because I have an FSM for my old Chevy truck, with a huge, large-format wiring book that is just beautifully done. VW used to do theirs in color. It is possible. Just not for a Jeep.

At this point, I've invested enough time trying to do it right that I am done trying. A jumper it is.

The problem, friend Currie, is simple. It's a ChryCo manual!

I'd like to see some large-format (D size?) sheeted wiring diagrams for our goodies, but I figure I'll end up having to draw them.

How soon can you have the 1990 version done?

Sorry, couldn't help it! :jester:

Seriously though, put my order on the waiting list, as the older I get the harder it is to read wiring diagrams. :wow:

The problem, friend Currie, is simple. It's a ChryCo manual!

I'd like to see some large-format (D size?) sheeted wiring diagrams for our goodies, but I figure I'll end up having to draw them.
But how are you gonna do it? You can't use the factory diagrams, because they're wrong. My son actually fried a stereo reading the pinout diagram from the 96 FSM (and yes, I double checked and so did he - it was just plain flat wrong).

The only way you're going to do good diagrams is to take the entire harness set out of a vehicle, slice off all the jackets, and draw it from life.

We should start a "buy Jon a big set of colored pencils" fund.

Mid-year wiring changes are a pain - and there'd be a caveat to that effect on my diagrams. Not to mention when they "just run out" of a colour, and sub something else.

And, there's no accounting for PO mods and ersatz repairs, either.

I probably wouldn't do them in colour. Too much of a pain to keep switching pencils, and coloured pencil is a pain to erase...

Back