• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shock bushing install HELP!

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
copied from another site...
ChevelleSSLS6 wrote:
I have the free shocks that came with the 3.5" rubicon express lift. They came free so get yours while they last! Sales pitch aside...

Any suggestions on shock bushing install? I slid the metal insert into the red bushing, then used a vise to (carefully) press it into the shock, and to go the rest of the way (as the bushing will not be centered after 'vising') I ended up using a hammer. It seems kind of brutal, in a redneck hack kind of way, but it worked. A squirt of wd helped the bushing slide in better.

So... that's that for now... more info on my 'project snowball' thread, and at least I can drive it and stuff for a bit... mom needs some help moving her classroom to a different building in the school district.
-Matt

A member there suggests I put the bushings in the freezer to 'harden' and then they'll slide right on...

I reply...
ChevelleSSLS6 wrote:
Freezer'd the bushings today while I was at work.
smile.gif

...tried it... not workin...
hmm.gif

Am I supposed to insert the bushing first into the shock (not an issue) then the bar pin (is it possible?) or put the bar pin in the bushing (easy!) then put that in the shock (not working out...).
confuse.gif

Any other advice? I tried searching online, and can't find anything.
no.gif

No reply there as of yet... SO- Anyone here have any suggestions?

Spray the shock eye with lube.
Position the bushing on the eye and give it a whack with a rubber mallet.
Now, grind a taper on one end of the bar pin and spray the bushing with lube.
Finally, fit the bar pin into the bushing and then use your vise to press it on in, or give it a whack with the mallet.

Chevelle, I just used some silicone that I use on O-rings for my pool. put some on one side of the bushing, install the sleeve and a quick press in using your vise and you are set!!! Bring your junk up and I'll give you a hand today!!!

I have found the easiest way to install shock bushings and bar pins is to use a vise. Just line everything up, crank down the vise, and everything will go in. No need for putting anything in the freezer this way.

Back