• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 limited wont start after being rained on

dj's 2000 xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, this is the first rain since I bought this xj. I drove it in wet weather then it rained, wouldnt start. Next day it was dry, started up. Now today, rained again and wont start. Engine compartment looks wet, I didnt drive it and it does ahve a hood. What the heck getting wet? Or, shorted? Thanks guys. 1988 4.0, uto, 242, all stock. I do have the splash guard under the front.

Try a new distributor or that sealing spray on it. Had 2 rigs that had the same problems. Moisture is getting in the cap

good thought, I will be exploring this. Probably due for a change anyway. 159,000 miles on it. Imagine everything is due for a tune :)

Mine was having same problem just last week (half the island under water from rain). THe seal on the hood was leaking right in the middle next the the windshield while parked and water had driped onto the CPS sensor connection (could see it pooled into the wire holes). Dried it off and fired right up. HTH Ryan

Back