• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what have i done now:( ---- no start

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
93' stock Sport, 4.0 HO. ~120K on it, Auto.

Couple weeks ago i tried to rig up an electric fan bypass and caused an awesome short, and had a dead car. replaced the 20amp fuse for the aux fan, unhooked the battery for about 1 min and then re-attached (got rid of my stupid bypass) and it started right up.

been fine since then. today i go out and when i try to start, i have power but no crank and i here a lot of clicking going on. haven't had a lot of time to look at it yet, since i am working from home now (could be worse!). but i checked my fuses and they were fine, unhooked the battery to reset it and no go.

i get a lot of clicks, my power doors and locks don't work, but my radio does... really weird stuff. what did i burn up? can you guys help me with a possible list of culprits?

Cheers!

Radio works due to very low current needs. Power door locks and starter take more juice. Your battery is very low. Recharge it or jump it. Then figure out why battery was low. Check (clean) connections at battery and main grounds. Then use a voltmeter to determine if you are charging when running.

alrighty. i will have to check that for sure. i was getting 12Volts very recently and the battery is only a year or so old, so maybe the alt isn't helping it out anymore:(

it is a cheap ass walmart battery anyways... will do the cleaning and checking, much appreciated

Every time I disconnect the battery nad reconnect it, I wipe off the pole and clamp with solvent, rub both shiny with a 3M pad, another wipe down with solvent then I tighten the clamp screw. If I skip this process their is usually about one chance in five, I'll have starting or charging problems somewhere down the line and have to do it all over again anyway.
Automotive systems (starting etc.) are high amperage low voltage, it really doesn't take much to screw up the flow.

hi All! again, thanks for your help. i cleaned off my posts and the connection and BAM, starts right up. im getting 12.8V with engine off, and 13.8 with it on. so that is good. i have one of those cheapo battery post cleaners, will use a brillo pad or something to get the post really good. what kind of solvent should i use?

cheers!

I use *spray* brake cleaner on most anything automotive. I tend to stick with brand name stuff and avoid the really cheap stuff. I also tend to use paper towels for things like that and avoid using old shop rags.

Coke is best used for cleaning batteries.

Pepsi and Dr. Pepper, on the other hand, are for drinking!

Back