• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DPG Belly Skid Vs. JCR Belly Skid

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, now that JCR has released their belly skid I wanted to do a quick comparison between them and DPG. Hopefully people will benefit from this when researching these products. Please keep this thread on the topic of these two skids. If you notice anything I have missed please post it up or let me know and I will change it/add it in. Also, if you have had experience with either of these products let us know how you feel about them.

JCR:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2...PROD&Product_Code=XJTCS&Category_Code=XJArmor

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeep Cherokee Transfer case Skid plate.

Important Product Note:
This skid is made to work with 84-01 Jeep Cherokee’s using the stock factory crossmember. Currently we only have skids available for XJ’s that are equipped with NP231 Transfer cases. Unlike other skids on the market, our’s does not require modification to the Catalytic Converter!

Are you constantly worrying about damaging your vulnerable transfer case while trying to enjoy an offroad outing? Now, you can worry no more, as JcrOffroad is proud to offer our Jeep Cherokee Transfer case skid plate. Unlike other manufacturer’s skids, ours offers frame rail to frame rail protection! These skids are custom built in house by JcrOffroad therefore quality is unsurpassed by other manufacturers. They are constructed from 1/4” thick high strength steel and built by Cnc production machines, therefore the over all fit, and attention to detail is second to none. Installation is bolt on and only requires drilling 10 holes!

All of our products come unfinished and ready for paint, unless otherwise stated.*[/FONT][/SIZE]
[/FONT]

Price- $175.00 + $35.00 shipping, totaling $210.00

DPG:
http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/dpg_xj_belly_skidplates.htm

Your factory transfer case is made from fragile aluminum. One wrong move on the trail and you could be looking at a very expensive fix. The factory crossmember alone is pretty weak too. Our DPG Rock Attack XJ Belly SkidPlate offers amazing protection for both in a lightweight, super high clearance package.
Our skid plates are Laser Cut from Beefy 3/16" thick High Strength (50,000psi) Steel.
All New Powder-Coat Finish for 2009- Our Best Ever!

10 solid mounting points create an incredibly strong unitized structure when bolted on. No self tapping hardware! Every bolt is positively secured with locking nuts. Your factory crossmember will take whatever you can dish out now and your t-case is fully protected!

Complete kit includes: Skid Plate, Mounting Hardware Kit, detailed instructions, and a full 2 year warranty against manufacturer's defects!
(Except for powder coat finish)
Fits any year XJ with 231 t-case. Call if you have a 242 case.

Price- $189.00

*Descriptions copied from the company's site

Last edited:
My observations:

Mounting- Both have the 3 mounting points per frame rail. JCR has 3 bolts on the front of the crossmember and what looks like 2 flush mounts on the bottom of the skid. This would not allow the lip of the skid to get caught or bent down. DPG has 4 flush mount bolts on the bottom skid connecting it to the crossmember. DPG also uses a slight bend in the front of the skid keeping it from getting caught and allowing it to slide over things.

Coverage- Both look like the cover about the same amount of the belly.The first difference I noticed was the gap made by JCR for the cat. Although it isnt much, it does give up some protection for the cat but also allows the stock cat to be used without modification to the exhaust. DPG does not use this gap on theirs but might require some exhaust modification or a flat cat from what I have read.

Strength- DPG-3/16" vs. JCR 1/4"

Also, DPG has two drain holes in the middle of their skid while JCR does not.

I have no experience with either one so I cannot praise or bash either product. Which to buy is up to you and your needs.

Last edited:
and DPG says on the sire to call if you have a 242. that would lead me to assume they can make one for that t-case. there isnt any info on that on JCR's site.

DPG has drain holes so that the pan dont hold water and mud. Their bolts have a protective plate around them to keep them from getting damaged for when you have to take it off. They come pre powdercoated. When I bought mine years ago they had an optional cut out for the exhaust. I think there design was stolen by JCR.

I have the DPG for a little nearly 2 years now. I love it. When bolted in it is very stout. If I had the JCR I am sure that it would be just as good

JCR Makes some great products but they could have improved that design. Im just saying it looks a lot like DPGs.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. Saying someone STOLE something is different than saying it looks a lot like something :)

The only distinct advantage I can see FOR the JCR skid is the fact that there is a cutout for the cat so you don't have to modify anything.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. Saying someone STOLE something is different than saying it looks a lot like something :)

The only distinct advantage I can see FOR the JCR skid is the fact that there is a cutout for the cat so you don't have to modify anything.
Stole was the wrong word. Copied should have be the word. Everyone is out to make a dollar.

1/4" > 3/16"
powder coated > spray painting it myself.....

but I think I'll just "borrow" the design and make my own out of 1/4" plate laying around the garage.

Stole was the wrong word. Copied should have be the word. Everyone is out to make a dollar.

If we would have made a bolt on skid from the factory cross member to the frame rail (like how the OEM 242 skid mounts) who would we have copied then? Rusty's? Skidrow?

We wanted to do an add on skid from frame rail to frame rail and there are only so many ways to do things.

1/4" > 3/16"
powder coated > spray painting it myself.....

but I think I'll just "borrow" the design and make my own out of 1/4" plate laying around the garage.

oh come on - I care about functionality and design - JCR has been putting out great stuff since the end of time and they are coming out with new products and have a couple threads on here asking for advice or paths to take with new XJ thangs - i am glad to see a small company in these times coming out with new stuff - great vendor and damn good products - DGP also has done well in the XJ world - you cant go wrong with either skid - similar yes but how many other belly pans are out there BESIDES long arm x members like TNT/ Treks? carry on

oh and that skid is not exactly made out of "scrap"

If we would have made a bolt on skid from the factory cross member to the frame rail (like how the OEM 242 skid mounts) who would we have copied then? Rusty's? Skidrow?

We wanted to do an add on skid from frame rail to frame rail and there are only so many ways to do things.

Very true, How many variations of something can be made, until products start looking similar? Good products come from good workmanship and quality control, i'm sure both of these companies produce a great product, I'm in the market for a good skid as we speak, and will be considering both of these companies.

doesn't really seem to be a hard choice

JCR:

1/4" thickness vs 3/16"
Solid design (even a cutout for cat)
$10 cheaper than DPG

-who wants powdercoating....the stuff chips and it's a PITA to patch and it rusts....better to coat yourself
-if drain holes are that big of a deal, drill your own

2561658120100669327S600x600Q85.jpg

We descided for forgo drain holes as the back area by the exhaust does not have a lip and stuff can be hosed out in that direction. We certaintly could put them in if that is what people wanted.

I already own the DPG but I'd be curious to see what the JCR hardware includes as it is not pictured anywhere. Does it use self tappers, or bolt through the frame and crossmember? Recessed bolt heads in the two holes on the bottom surface? Let's see how it bolts up.

Back