• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine looses power and then surges

ChairOKing

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ. The first 3-4 minutes of driving every trip is always the same. I pull out of my driveway, and as i get about 100 feet down the street my engine feels as though its starting to loose power and is about to die, then all of a sudden it surges and my RPM's shoot up like crazy. Keep in mind this is with me keeping my foot in the same position on the gas pedal, and not trying to accelerate at all. This happens about 3 or 4 times, then it just smooths out and I don't have any more problems with it till I park for longer than an hour or two.

Does anyone have any ideas/comments/questions/suggestions?

Sounds like someone is telling lies--to the ECU/PCM.

Clean the IAC and TB, test the TPS, those would be the first things I would look at.

Same exact issue I'm having - I started a thread also. Same answers too. Mine only does it once per drive though, and only does it about 25% of the time - let's compare notes after junkyarding some new sensors. IAC is Idle Air Controller (it's a solenoid/stepper motor on the side of the throttle body), TPS is Throttle Position Sensor, also on the throttle body.

The plan is carb or throttle body spray down the IAC air inlet. Seafoam also works, just did it today, and the bucking is gone.

Probably a bad sensor that the computer finally decides to ignore, but that usually throws a code and a check engine light on 96 and later years. Could be a warm up problem with the O2 sensor. My bet is the O2 sensor or wiring is bad, or O2 sensor heater power relay is acting up. The O2 sensor does not work until it gets hot enough. It has a built in electric heater that brings it up to temp in a few seconds. If it does not work, the O2 sensor data is no good as the ECU tries to do closed loop.

Google "naxja oxygen sensor Ecomike" for some threads on how to test these.

Back