• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch removal

RTFM

NAXJA Forum User
So after reading and looking I just can't figure out how the fan clutch is removed.
It appears easy because I see people get one after work and install them in an hour or so...... but I have not found searching here or on the web just how to remove one.

FanRemoval.jpg

To remove - Are the four bolts (nuts?) removed where I have the RED arrow pointing on that flange on the neck of the fan? Or is there a nut on the front of the clutch?

Secondary, when I spin the fan I never get the blades to move more than one position clockwise or counter-clockwise (Blue position 1 to position 2) no matter how fast or slow - hard or soft I try to spin them.... sign of a bad clutch?

I realize it's a rudimentary question, but I'm trying to figure this stuff out for my self - so I can be less dependent on the mechanics..... this appears to be an easy fix - I just can't grasp where it's held on.

:anon:

Engine? If it is a 4.0 then remove the two screws holding the fan shroud to the top of the radiator, then move the shroud up so the two tabs on the bottom are freed from their mounts. Now, look at the pulley where it is driven by the accessory belt, then move your eyeballs towards the front of the vehicle until you can see the four nuts holding the fan/fan clutch assembly to the belt driven pulley--remove the four nuts and then remove the fan/fan clutch assembly. Remove the fan and assemble it with the new fan clutch. Reverse what you did getting it off, make sure you alternate the tightening of the four nuts and that everything seats properly. ***Didn't see your sig line, so 4.0 it is. PS--are you replacing it with a standard fan clutch or doing the ZJ HD fan clutch upgrade? The procedure is identical.

Last edited:
You will need a 13mm wrench, a screwdriver, and a 8mm socket.

Ready?

Make sure the Jeep is OFF! ;)

Loosen the belt is my move, but you can do it without doing so.

Reach in and remove each of the 4 13mm nuts holding the fan assembly to the pulley. This sounds easy, but if the belt is tight, it will be hard to get the other 3 nuts. That is why I loosen the belt and use the screw driver to rotate and hold the pulley using the bolts as leverage.

After that is loose. Remove the two 8mm bolts that hold the fan shroud to the radiator support.

Wiggle the fan loose from the pulley.

Remove fan and shroud as an assembly.

Ron

Thanks Joe & Ron - that's what I thought. Those four nuts - I got my self confused by reading other vehicle types and the single big nut and special tool needed to remove the clutch.

Good! For us it's four nuts and off..... thanks (again)

Back