• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the plug/wiring for thats behind the empty square?

chpmnsws6

NAXJA Forum User
Next to my rear wiper switch, my XJ just has an empty square and I've thought about putting a switch in that spot. I pulled it apart today and noticed it had a plug connected to it with maybe 4 wires. What is the wiring originally for?

Its a 1997 Sport if that helps.

Any idea's? Search brought up nothing, but then again, I don't know what to call it!

The one by the rear wiper switch I believe is for something other than a foglight switch. The one by the rear defrost switch (on the left side of the wheel) is for the foglight switch. Your wiring harness probably has the two connectors for the fog lights behind the grill if you want to make use of it - lots of junkyard vehicles have the fog light switch you can swap in.

Hopefully my H4 European bulbs will offer enough light for now.... They'll sure beat the mismatched bulbs in it currently!

The one by the rear wiper switch I believe is for something other than a foglight switch. The one by the rear defrost switch (on the left side of the wheel) is for the foglight switch.

Pre '97 pic

standard.jpg

On his '97, the fog light switch is in the middle of the dash along with the defrost and rear wiper.

Picture025.jpg

The plug in question should be for fog lights however the rest of the fog light wiring shouldn't be there unless you had fog lights originally. You would only have the extended idle plug there if you have a police package XJ. Factory extended idle is easy enough to wire up in that blank square if you're so inclined...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244272197&postcount=149

Interesting. That's opposite from what I have... I wonder if the PO of my XJ did something strange with the wiring harness. I know my fogs are on the left side right where that clearly marked extended idle switch is... or I'm just going nuts, not sure which.

chpmnsws6, as an alternative, you could cut the pigtail off, get a factory switch, and use an aftermarket fog harness (or grab some wire and terminals) and have an OE looking setup, without having the OE wiring. I was toying with the idea of adding fogs, but don't seem to have the terminals for the relay in the PDC. I saw a thread on JF (believe it's also covered on here somewhere) where someone did this.

But, I found some cheap 100/90s for my Autopals, and that was a pronounced improvement, IMO. And, if I ever do add aux or fog lighting, by circumventing the factory setup, I can run the aux lights in addition to the highbeams- the factory setup kills the fog lights when the high beams are on, and can cause issues if you've added an upgraded harness. Just a thought.

My fourth switch isn't an extended idle, it's for the rear fogs:cool:

Ah, the European spec XJ... With the headlight aiming switch to boot. This may be a stupid question and is a bit off topic, but what the heck are rear fogs and what do you use them for?

On older model XJ's (Pre 96? I believe...) Rather than a high idle switch, I usually see that space being filled by a switch for the automaic transmission. With a "power" and a "cmfort" setting. Not really sure what it does, since both of mine are manual shift. I imagine it just turns off the overdrive.

On older model XJ's (Pre 96? I believe...) Rather than a high idle switch, I usually see that space being filled by a switch for the automaic transmission. With a "power" and a "cmfort" setting. Not really sure what it does, since both of mine are manual shift. I imagine it just turns off the overdrive.

Older than that. It just changed the shift points and the torque converter lockup a bit.

Hey, I just did the extended idle switch on my XJ and its really not hard, only took like 10-15 mins. I used that connector you are talking about, the one for the fogs. Well, all I did was splice into the ground wire of it and put a switch between that and the wire I spliced into the grey wire under the hood (the one from pin a12 of the ecu) Worked great.

Im wondering if anybody has the pinout/wire colors for the fog switch, maybe I can take advantage of the wiring thats there and add extra wiring/relays where needed to run my aftermarket fogs. I'm an electrical engineer student haha so I love tracing wires down, even if they lead nowhere

Back