• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tach cluster

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj that has all the gauges except the tach. Once i find a tach cluster for my xj is there anything else i need to change,( sending units ),is the tach hookup already there or do i have to install that also?

You will have to make no other changes. Just throw the new cluster on and you are set.

Just remember that not all years are the same. The '91 and newer used an electronic speedo, and AFAIK the connections to the back of the cluster are different. I also recently learned that the '84 thru '86 sppedos are different from the '87 thru '90, and I don't know if that affects the printed circuit or the connections.

To be safe, for your '90 you should be looking for a cluster from an '88, '89, or '90.

the speedo change was in early 87. the printed circuits are different but the connections are the same (you can't swap just the speedometers between the different style clusters either... trust me, I tried ;) )

if you have cruise control, you can take the short length of cable that goes from the speedo to the cruise speed sensor (about 8" or so) and replace yours with it. the end of the cable that screws into the sensor may or may not have a threaded adaptor on it. if it has the adaptor, grab that too.

also, make sure you get whatever cluster corresponds to your engine. the 4-cyl and 6-cyl tachs read differently. supposedly it's possible to calibrate the tach by changing a resistor on the printed circuit, but I haven't dove into that project yet.

i dont have one yet . I was looking at the one that jet455 has but he never responded back . So tell me what you r deal is.
Thanx Digger

I paid $25 and that's all I want for it plus what ever it is to ship to you. If I use USPS priority it'll be something like $5 I think. Just sent an older one to Eagle that way and it was around that much. Before I send it though, make sure your speedo has the philips head screws on the face. That way we're sure it's the same and you can just swap out the speedo for your's so the milage will be correct, or what ever you want. This one has 201,358 on it.

Back