• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brighten the night???

Hoof Hearted

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry, my search came up with lame results...

I have a 1997 XJ with halogen lights and no fog lights (also, no brush guard for add'l off road lights). I'm looking for some lighting options that turns night into day. :sunshine:

A perspective: I live in the boondocks of northern Wisconsin and the suicidal deer like to play chicken... ...unfortunately, they're galacticly retarded and like to run full-tilt in to your vehicle.

Any suggestions, short of moving, on what might be an upgraded, real lighting solution? Legal lighting is not a requirement... :sunshine: ...I need to see!

Thanks for your suggestions! Oh and BTW, torching benjimans is not in the budget...

Last edited:
E-code lamps with voltage stiffening harnesses.

If you really wanna blow your wad, get some KC H.I.D. lights. theyre about a grand for 2 of them, but they have 200,000 candle power. Otherwise I would suggest KC Daylighters. They are awesome pencil beams and look really slick with the rock gaurds on them. You can also get slim lights to mount in tighter areas. Hellas are nice sometimes too. I have the 6500 series on my bumper and they weren't bad, but they definitely are no where near as bright as the KC Daylighters.

Hope this helps.

This is what I am running
go-jeeps harness, w/ 4 relays.
Hella Vision Plus Housings
Hella 55/100W bulbs
Some KC Competition 9" driving lights.

I see VERY well at night.
2pics.jpg

[/pic whoreage]

I've got 4 of these mounted to a light bar I made. They're pretty cheap if you look around and 100 watts each... you can find 'em at autozone as well.
poser.jpg

All excellent suggestions... ...but I failed to state I'm looking for replacement of the stock turd lamps and additional lighting for the stock fog locations that are bare. Keep 'em coming... ...with links preferably!

quadratec has headlight replacement with H4 bulbs (Hella, IPF). I have also heard great things about the IPF 7" lights, combination beam. I am going to order them this weekend hopefully.

on a serious note, if i were you id get some bright, wide range lights, with 4 in interlapping directions (not that drastic, just some overlap) you could light up your surroundings to probably 190* around the lights

I'll put in a vote for IPF replacement housing and some of their bulbs. I use their Magic J bulbs with a stock harness, but they now have a bigger brighter bulb called FatBoys which i think can also use the stock harness. They are definitely a big step up from stock and if you can upgrade the harness and go with the corresponding bigger bulbs I can only imagine the light they'd put out. As far as my vote for auxillary lights I will say hands down to go with a set of Lightforces. I have their mid-sized non-HID lights and between being focasable, ability to change light color and beam pattern to suit what you need, and light weight/durability I don't think there is another light on the market that comes close. I've left shadows in front of vehicles with their high-beams on. If you've got the money you won't be sorry with either the IPFs or the Lightforces.

rocklandxjer said:
the single best term ive ever heard LMAO
Made me chuckle too.

Being from Wi also, I found that a good bumper with a welded guard (I have a TJM) with light mounts works great for bonzai deer. It paid for itself already. And the lights didn't get busted up:cheers:

are you looking for fog lights or upgrading your stock headlights? i upgraded my stock halogens to HID's, one of the best mods ive done... upgrading to HID's should cost your around 350-400 for a decent kit. don't get some crap kit sold on Ebay.

shimmy said:
are you looking for fog lights or upgrading your stock headlights? i upgraded my stock halogens to HID's, one of the best mods ive done... upgrading to HID's should cost your around 350-400 for a decent kit. don't get some crap kit sold on Ebay.

Thanks all, lookin' for both... ... replacement for stock lamps and suggestions for lights that reside in the stock fog light location.

Hoof Hearted said:
lights that reside in the stock fog light location.

Check out KC, my wifes DD uses the same size lights as the newer XJ's and I replaced hers with KC fogs that improved her light output by leaps and bounds. We also have a thining herd of suicidal deer locally and the brush gaurd is a must for night travels. A medic unit tagged one at about 80MPH last year, totaled the brush gaurd but only cosmetic on the unit.

CHUGLYxj said:
Check out KC, my wifes DD uses the same size lights as the newer XJ's and I replaced hers with KC fogs that improved her light output by leaps and bounds. We also have a thining herd of suicidal deer locally and the brush gaurd is a must for night travels. A medic unit tagged one at about 80MPH last year, totaled the brush gaurd but only cosmetic on the unit.

Thanks again for all the speedy suggestions... ...I've been thining out the local herd with a Jennings 3.4R compound bow, carbon express arrows with a 100 grain Muzzy broad head

I thought about converting to HID on my XJ but the lack of Hibeams has me second guessing it. I got a set of 2005 BMW M5 complete HIDs w/ the projectors for $250 shipped. If anyones interested PM me and I can send you the guys info.

There is alot of debate on HID conversions, seems getting an acceptable beam pattern and proper cutoff ect is hit or miss even with good kits. If it were me I'de get a set of IPF H4 conversions and the fatboy bulbs to start with. If that doesnt do it upgrade the harness then the bulbs again.

Back