• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i just remove my 95 charcoal canister, i broke it i think.

95cherjustin

NAXJA Forum User
Well being an idot with my 95 xj i grabbed an air hose and blew out my vacuum lines.

So i blew the cap off charcoal cansiter busted the cap to pieces. so i put a new cap on with new spring and all and new vacuum line. but now the black little blow off thing on the cansiter just leaks all day long while its runing of course.

So do i need a new canister which they dont make anymore or can it be bypassed or removed these things dont do a thing way out of date.

Here are some photos the black thing that leaks vacuum while she runs is on top of the canster below the cap on the right side of the cap there.

I also added photos of the intake vacuum lines. Do i have the vacuum lines wrong? My understanding doesnt matter what vacuum port you use they all pull the same vacuum right??

sdff003.jpg

sdff004.jpg

sdff002.jpg

I'd get one for ten bucks at the local pick-n-pull and replace it personally.

My brother and I are about to get into a comanche turbo project and plan on removing as many vacuum lines as possible, so that canister is gonna be the first to go. Haven't quite thought of the repercussions, but 20yr charcoal can't possibly be functioning the way it's supposed to. Please chime in. . .

The charcoal canister temporarily absorbs vapors from the fuel tank until you run the engine next, when they are sucked out and burned - it's not critical to the operation of the vehicle but it helps keep atmospheric VOCs down (smog). It also probably will slightly improve your gas mileage as you get to burn that gas instead of letting it evaporate. I would personally leave it, I don't think it'll kill the environment to remove or anything but it seems silly to remove it when it's already there.

That little thing on top of the canister is most likely a check valve, which you destroyed by subjecting it to too much pressure. I think you should get a replacement check valve if you can and keep the canister. It's the green thing to do.

Well being an idot with my 95 xj i grabbed an air hose and blew out my vacuum lines.

So i blew the cap off charcoal cansiter busted the cap to pieces. so i put a new cap on with new spring and all and new vacuum line. but now the black little blow off thing on the cansiter just leaks all day long while its runing of course.

So do i need a new canister which they dont make anymore or can it be bypassed or removed these things dont do a thing way out of date.
Youll need it if you have to pass "inspections"!

Back