• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Puma 12v air compressor

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Just received my new Puma PD-1006 air compressor, and would appreciate any input from anyone using one of these.
Specifically, can it be mounted upside down? The instructions that came with it are general, covering any number of air compressors they make, and don't specifically address the PD-1006. The general instructions emphasize mounting level. I want to put it behind the rear side panel, next ti the gas tank fill. It appears to do so requires mounting it upside down. Comments? Ideas?

I've had that same compressor for over 2yrs now and love it (I left mine portable so I can carry it in any one of the three 4Xs I have). There should be no problem with mounting it upside down as there no crankcase or oil to worry about. The only issue I can see with mounting it behind the side panel is, a lack of air flow to keep it cool. The motor and cylinder head can generate alot of heat if run (under load) for a prolonged time.---------Hans

xjbubba said:
The instructions emphasize mounting level

probly because of oiling reasons. the compressor most likely has a piston which requires oil, and mounting it upside down would probly starve it. it would last long enough for the warranty to run out, and then poop on you.

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
probly because of oiling reasons. the compressor most likely has a piston which requires oil, and mounting it upside down would probly starve it. it would last long enough for the warranty to run out, and then poop on you.

-Tim
The compressor is oil less-------Hans

Thanks for the replies--I can't see any reason why it couldn't be run upside down eather, considering it's an oilless compressor.

Back