• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found what I think is a gem at the local junkyard yesterday...

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'd been wanting to retrofit an overhead console into my 2001 XJ for the sake of it being an additional storage area as well as an OE-style frame to which switches for additional running gear could be added (lockers, lights, etc.), but felt no compelling desire to hunt down the pieces necessary to hook up the trip computer and whatnot. I wasn't sure if these existed, but sure enough I found one out at LKQ (near Raleigh) yesterday afternoon...

console0.jpg

The picture is quite craptastic (snapped it on my way to work this morning), but it's essentially an OHC with a blank plate installed where the trip computer display normally would be, as well as its controlling buttons. I also nabbed an OHC out of a ZJ to donate the rear "blank" plate (to eliminate the switches), but realized that the switches could be quite easily removed allowing for additional mounting surfaces.

In any case, how rare are these types of OCHs? It came out of an old red Caravan that I happened to stumble across, and honestly I couldn't be happier. I'll be buying a new windshield and auto-dimming rear view mirror in the not-too-distant future (with integrated compass and thermometer) and think this piece would be perfect for custom switch mount points.

Also, I have a question... I haven't found much discussion regarding the extent of the modifications that will be required to install this thing. I assume the stock dome light wiring harness is a similar connector to the wiring for the reading lamps? Also, what type of mounting plate/support is used in the XJ? I snagged the mounting bracket out of the Caravan, as well as one out of a ZJ, just to make sure I had options. Finally, I assume a small cutout will need to be made in the headliner to allow the rear of the console to "hook" into it?

I'll be putting together a more comprehensive guide as I clarify some of these questions, so any input you can give would be appreciated. The most comprehensive resource I've found thus far is this thread:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=949746

Thanks in advance!

Campbell

Not sure how rare they are, but I picked one up out of a '91 Limited on Saturday, I've been working on stripping it down and will be reupholstering it soon. I'm mostly done figuring out how the wiring for the temp/compass board works but it won't power on, suspect I need to give it a couple more volts than my bench supply will give it.

Yes, you will need to cut the headliner to hook the back end in - the XJ OEM OHC units actually have a pair of metal grips that are spotwelded to the roof paneling near the back as well as hooking onto the headliner, hopefully the headliner won't sag without that. We'll see I guess, eh?

I have the same thing. They are pretty uncommon but I would not call them rare per se.

Caravan_Console.sized.jpg

Like you I also swapped the middle part for one without the vent switches. I also swapped in the light wiring from a ZJ so that all four map lights are individually controllable, and also installed a rear panel with the keyless remote orb so I could use my keyless IR board.

Headliner_Gap.sized.jpg

One thing to be concerned with is the length. Mine had a gap in the back after installing it into the stock '91 headboard. I am going to switch to late-model headboard since the rear hole should be smaller.

Long term plans are to put a CB in the front opening (where the computer usually sits) and put some switches in the middle piece

Thanks for the input, guys.

One question still remains - will the wiring harness in use for the reading lamps on the new OHC connect directly to those in place for the factory dome light? How much electrical work will ultimately be required to install this (remember, just the reading lights, no computer)?

I do not believe it will plug in directly - the connector for mine, at least, is a 5 pin MTA style connector that goes to all the map lights... I think it's got two different power lines for accessory power and ignition power, which could be linked together of course. The OEM lamp on the ceiling is likely the same, or has only two wires. Either way they're just incandescent bulbs so you can simply connect em up and it should work no problem - some butt splice crimps, soldering, or a connector or two if you're feeling picky should make it work easily enough.

EDIT: hopefully current draw will not be excessive with 4 lamps rather than the single OEM one. If it is, I think the wire should handle the extra current fine (at least in mine) so you could probably get away with just using a bigger fuse, though I can't really recommend it.

Just in case anyone finds this thread searching - if you get the compass/temp console board out of another Jeep, the outside air temp sensor is clipped to the metal center support for the front header panel right between the bumper and the front frame crossmember. Even though the IR unlock receiver board has the same mounting holes and dimensions on a '91 era and a '96 era XJ, the connector is different and in fact the wiring is entirely different also - plan on extending the cable for your IR receiver board and mounting it in the transplanted overhead console.

My '91 had the computer so I had the whole harness. What I did was cut the connector off of that and the console, and then spliced in a new 4-pin connector for the map lights. Basically it is wired up with power always on but not grounded, then when you open a door or turn the headlamp knob the cabin light circuit is grounded which turns on all of the lamps, or press one of the lenses to toggle a local ground for just that lamp. So in order for it to work you need the wires for constant power, cabin switched ground (for when the doors are open or the headlight knob is turned), and constant ground (for the independent light switches). Search and you will find the wire colors.

FWIW I plan to use the other wires from the original console wiring to drive a fancy rearview mirror. The remote unlock board is on a different harness over the back half.

Wow, thanks for all the input guys - this is some good info.

One last question - can someone with a 2001 XJ (or comparable) post a picture of the wiring harness used by the stock Sport-model dome light? I'm hoping to avoid taking it apart until it's time to do the installation.

Also, people have mentioned the OHC wiring is already present in all models - does this mean I need to obtain an upper harness to plug in somewhere else in the car (passenger foot well?) or is the harness already present but just tucked into the headliner?

I don't think it's always there unfortunately... it doesn't appear to be present in mine. My parts catalog shows a few (*cough* far more than a few) different models of wiring harnesses with different option cables present or not present.

Back