• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size and lift

DougJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know, I know...

Anyway, I know my answer is on here someplace but after considerable searching I can't find it to my satisfaction. I'm looking get some specific fitment information before I buy new shoes for my Jeep. I have a 2001 XJ on a BDS 4.5" lift. Right now I have some '06 Rubicon wheels with 245/75R16's (30.5")

I've re-geared to 4.56's and I'm looking to go to a 32" or 33" tire, but I want to go narrow. I'm primarily looking at 33/10.50 15's or 255/85R16's. The obvious alternate but somewhat undesirable (wider than I want) size is 285/75R16, or I could go 265/75R16 but that's only a 31.6 tire. There's not much selection in the narrow tires, especially as I want an AT or aggressive AT/crossover tire.

I want to do minimal trimming which is part of the reason for the narrow tires.

My question is what backspacing to use, 4"? Who's had these tire sizes on their XJ with similar lift hight and what backspacing did you use?

I'm running 4"bs with 31x10.5s and I had to trim the front fender flares at the bottom on the rear as well as the front bumper caps. I have about 4-4.5" lift on my rig. I think with 4.5 or 4.75 backspacing you would have less trouble rubbing as long as you bumpstop it. I am only running 1" bumpstop extensions on mine.

I found a bit of XJ info on the Expedition link, thanks.

Is there no one running 255/85's or 33/10.50's that has some input here?

I believe you can find them in BFG MT KM, BFG AT, Super Swamper Q78 (there's a TJ across the "street" from me at work running them, and I like the look of it overall), and a few others that I can't remember.

I ran 34X10.50 LTBs on a 4.5" lift and the tires were completly under the flares with stock wheels, the only reason i trimmed was because 34s really dont fit well with only 4.5". I had stock eccos with 5.25" bs. I adjusted steering stops so as not to rub on LCAs.

ops31y.jpg

my friends dad runs 235/85/15's? i think thats right, but they come out to 32x9.5's... thats the route i was considering so i didnt have to trim, but riding on pizza blades in the sand doesnt sound too fun lol im going to have a 4.5" lift and i'll only run 31/10.50's i'd like to keep my stock flares and still have a little bit of fender gap cuz fender gap is cool =)

I found a bit of XJ info on the Expedition link, thanks.

Is there no one running 255/85's or 33/10.50's that has some input here?
Your going to have to trim alot for 33x10.50's.I was running them at about 5"+ lift and minor trimming and no flares and they still rubbed.Im back running 265/75/16's (32x10.5)now!

i'll prolly stick to 31x10.50's... only because im not in real need for axle ground clearance... i'd like to do 33x10.50's but im not really interested in regearing and losing mpg because of the bigger tires.

bfg km2 31.10.50's weigh 45 lbs compared to the 33x10.50's at 49 and 33x12.5's at 61 lbs and

when your looking at rolling resistance and unsprung weight, this means alot to some people bigger means slower stopping accelerating shocks have to work harder steering works harder, theres just alot of factors that i dont think is needed unless this is only used to wheel and thats it. plus the cost of tire prices go up and up and being a poor mofo like me i'll stick to being a Budget builder

What backspacing were the wheels and where were the tires rubbing?
Wheels were 15x7w/4.5"BS.Rears rub front and back of the flare,fronts rubbed on the rear of the "fender".I probably could minimize the front by extending the wheelbase some(I have long arms).I could probably take out alot of the rear rub with some more bumpstops, but I like my rear flex and it mostly happens when fully laden with passengers and supplies and fully flexed.

Back