• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with my Chrysler 8-1/4

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
my axle just recently started making some weird metal on metal scratching noises. but it only happens when i accelerate. and it sounds like its scratching at half the speed the drive shaft is spinning... which leads me to believe that its my bearings. and i believe its the bearings labeled #10 in this diagram because the sound is so direct.

can i get some info/advice on this? are these bearings easy to replace? i dont believe i have to access the inside of the axle housing.

Untitled-1-2.jpg

The outer pinion bearing? You should be able to remove and check it by removing the yoke, but I'm not sure about that.

To remove the yoke you are supposed to use a special tool to keep the yoke from spinning, but people on this forum have done it without one. The nut will be very tight, torqued to about 150 ft-lbs or so.

Last edited:
so im gonna need to borrow a impact wrench?

or is that to much on the pinion?

Do you have a limit slip in your differential? If so, then it could be your friction modifier has worn out/failed. Change the diff oil and add some friction modifier to hopefully quell the noise.

Also if you have a limit slip and it's a stock one, it could be worn out....

no i dont. and i just changed the gear oil in it about a month ago.

which brings me to a question. if my gear oil i got was like 5w off from what it was supposed to be, could it have some damaging effects?

cause when i changed it, it told me a certain type, then when i got back the manual stated something different about a page down.

i used 85-90

That shouldn't be the problem then, 85-90 is fine.

ok. so, does any one know if i can just replace the the bears on the outside of the diff housing?

it seems like it would cost less money, be less time consuming, and less chance of error

There is much more than you think. I believe that you need remove the gears and pull the pinion gear to remove the bearing cap and also replace the collapsible spacer.

ok, thats kinda what i was trying to find out.

Back