• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which bedliner to use?

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to install my rr hitch, skids, and brushbar and thought it would be a good idea (I live in the "Rust-Belt") to give them a coat of roll-on bedliner (black) to help keep them in decent shape. I called the local automotive supplier and they carry Herculiner and (believe it or not :D ) Bondo makes a bedliner-in-a-can!
Anyway, does anyone have a favorite? What should I look for (ingredients)? And how long does it take for this stuff to set-up so I can install these items without getting it all over me? ;)
Thanks,
BLUTO :)

Well, I was looking at the Rhino-liner which is the epoxy spray on stuff. It must be done at a shop as they mix the epoxy in the spray gun.

The price I was quoted at U-Haul (yes, U-Haul was the local rep) was $8 / ft sq. And I was told that the stuff sets up in minutes.

If everything was ready and you could get the vehicle there, you could leave as soon as they were done applying the stuff. One of our work trucks has it in the bed and it is tough as nails.

Just a thought.

Tom Dennis

I just finished bedlinering my exterior of my XJ. I used Herculiner and it kicks ass. I got it at Mernards and after the rebates it only cost me 50 bucks a gallon. I took me 1 day to coat the whole thing. It was totally dry in about 2 days.Just my 2 cents

I also so Herculiner. It's great, but you gotta follow the directions religiously.

FYI if you're doing a do it yourself.... get the roll on versions instead of spray on (rattle can) as the rattle can stuff is thinner....

and as you're working on it... remember this

Kejtar

how many millions of people do you think know about that poor guy's misfortune now? hahaha

I hope they never delete that thread.

bedliner

POOR BASTARD! :doh: He's in quite a preDICKament!:roflmao:
I enjoy working on my JEEP, but probably not as much as this poor FORD owner :dunce:
Anyway...I'll probably go with the Herculiner (ON my JEEP), waiting for Rusty to send me my exhaust and tow hooks.
Thanks,
BLUTO :)

Durabak?

How about Durabak? Comes in colors, wasnt Beezil the first one here to use the stuff a few years back? I need to coat my interior too.

XJguy

Slip Kid said:
how many millions of people do you think know about that poor guy's misfortune now? hahaha

I hope they never delete that thread.

That thing has been on Jeeps Unlimited and back a million times! Just the other day someone asked what to use to remove herc., of course someone asked if this was another hootus problem.:laugh2: :laugh2:

Duplicolor makes one too.....

I like it and it is cheap. I think it was like 30-40 a gallon.

Kejtar said:
FYI if you're doing a do it yourself.... get the roll on versions instead of spray on (rattle can) as the rattle can stuff is thinner....

and as you're working on it... remember this

Kejtar

POR15 is no fun getting off your skin either. I've had plack handds for the last 3 days. (hands, not hootus) :)

I kind of don't like the way rolled on herculiner looks. I read on some forum that you can buy a 15 dollar undercoating gun and spray herculiner through it. Some guy did it on a CJ tub and it looked GREAT. Very even coverage, looked exactly like rhinoliner or lineX.
If you do use herculiner, buy a bottle of the UV protectant. I have my rear bumper herculined and it starts to get a grey/hazy/chalky look to it after lots of exposure to sunlight.

when it fades (I got the lower 1/4th of my doors herculined) I hose it off and then hit it with flat black spray paint over it and it's all good :)

bigoltrux77 said:
I just finished bedlinering my exterior of my XJ. I used Herculiner and it kicks ass. I got it at Mernards and after the rebates it only cost me 50 bucks a gallon. I took me 1 day to coat the whole thing. It was totally dry in about 2 days.Just my 2 cents

I've used herculiner in my interior for 2 xj's & 3 yj's and love the stuff. How does it look on the exterior? I know it is a bit gritty, so I was leaning towards Safety Red Durabak for the exterior. I'm from Chicago originally & know that a bedlining the whole jeep is a real good idea to fight the rust & for it to be more durable.

One of the guys at work used a Rustoleum product called "Road Warrior" on his pick-up bed. It looks like the other coatings.
It is a two part epoxy coating and it sticks like crazy.
It comes in a box with everything you need, including the roller and brush. He bought it at Grainger.
See
http://www.rustoleum.com/brand.asp?frm_brand_id=20&SBL=1

i herced mine.
it's all dirty now but the wheelwell shot gives you an idea of the finished teture.
dirty_herc.jpg

toolboxandherc.jpg

wheelwellherc.jpg

sideview_rock_rail.jpg

It's great, but you gotta follow the directions religiously.
thats the best advie there is. p.s. wear gloves and take them off before you touh your hootus :loveu:

Last edited:
Back