• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj rear drivers door wont open

Sheeper

NAXJA Forum User
The PS rear door wont open in my xj, i just got this from a guy and he said his dad accidently put the child lock on, well it wont open from either side... is there a way to open this without destroying the door? so i can fix this?

Is there any resistance, or does it feel like its loose when you pull on the handle/push on the button? Maybe the lock is stuck?
Also, have you tried having someone push the button on the outside and try and push against the door with your foot?

Is there any resistance, or does it feel like its loose when you pull on the handle/push on the button? Maybe the lock is stuck?
Also, have you tried having someone push the button on the outside and try and push against the door with your foot?

Ya i had my kid push from the inside, the lock may be stuck but i can pull or push the buttons on either side and still nothing, not even budging

time for a BFH X-D, can u remove the door panel? pull out the rear seat and try and take ur panel off to get access to the door parts, you might be able to make it open that way...

does the lock/unlock rocker button by the handle feel really stiff? If so, check this thread: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003779

I had the same issue on most of my doors (one at a time luckily), the passenger door was jammed when I bought it. The only remaining original latch in my XJ is the one in the rear hatch. The most difficult part of doing this with the door still closed is getting the darn trim panel off, you're lucky, the back doors are far easier because the dash paneling is not in the way at the front.

EDIT: this trick should work for all the driver/passenger side doors, the latch mechanisms are different part numbers and the magical lever to move is mirrored on different sides of the car, but the image should give you a good idea of what you're poking around for. The latch mechanisms are mostly available from teamcherokee and discountjeepparts for half dealer price and one quarter dealer price, respectively, though I only used one from them before I decided to try my luck with a junkyard part, a bucket of gasoline, an old toothbrush, and a can of white lithium grease. So far, so good - figured for $10 it was a gamble worth taking.

Last edited:
Back