• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front uni-rail straightening/ de-tweaking

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
i basically drove into/onto a concrete wall and now my hood, fenders, front crossmember and header panel don't line up. as well as my alternator and fan hit my framerail.

I would like to at least get it visibly straight and no longer have fan and alternator clearance issues.

The jeep still drives fine and dandy.

the last inch of the fan blades are bent flat from hitting the frame and at rest the fan is within a half inch of the frame. Hits on bumps and most left turns. Motor mounts have one trip on them.

the tough part about this is nothing is the stock sheet metal.

the crossmember is 1/4" thick 2x6" box steel, and the frame is plated with 3/16" plate down the sides from the crossmember to leaf hangers. Underneath the crossmember is tied back about 6" with some 3/16" plate.

overall
unibodytweak011.jpg

fan clearance
unibodytweak007.jpg

how the hood wants to shut
unibodytweak006.jpg

alternator clearance (note the ground wire extension is snapped off from making contact with the frame)
unibodytweak002.jpg

hood latched as good as it gets
unibodytweak001.jpg

my plan of action was to cut the crossmember out and perhaps make some releif cuts in the 3/16" along the framerail (stitch welded for the most part)

once the fenders, radiator, header panel and all that nonsense is out of there i would go to town with a sledgehammer, or get creative with a hi-lift.

thoughts?

Remember it doesnt need to be perfect. if i can make it visibly straight i will be happy. and maybe notch the frame for fan/alt clearance or go to a dual electric fan setup

If you take it to a frame repair shop they can pull the right front frame rail back down where it belongs. It shouldn't cost too much if you don't need the body work.

the thing is a cage (mild exo w/ halo) is going in this winter and i want to start with something fairly straight

Forget the frame shop. Didn't you watch trucks' budget cherokee build...you don't already have a $10k frame bender in your own garage?

Back