• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking part 2

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
Well as you guys know acouple days ago i needed help fixing the clunking noise. When i pull out in 2nd right when it grabs it clunks. Had a local well known 4wd place look at it. He looked at my joints which i replaced a month ago. He said you have a slight play in the slip yoke at the tail. He said that could give u the clunk but not need to be fixed anytime soon. So after that i looked under my jeep at the tranny mount there was only one bolt holding the cross member to the tranny mount and it ate all the metal away from the crossmember. So i figured the tranny was hitting the tunne. I have an nv4500trans and an np231 so they half assed that part. I took the member off fabbed up a 3hole plate welded it on and buttoned her up still does the clunk. I have a warn front hubs so the front shaft isnt driving. Could it be the front shaft? I dont know whats next.

well i took it to local 4wd place. The clunk was the bearings going out in the np231 case so its going to be rebuilt. There was to much play on the output shaft.

Back