• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 rebuild questions

benXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My plan is to replace many of the moving parts on my D30. I have 180,000 miles and I'm getting some grinding/vibrations during turning and slower speeds. I want to replace the axle shafts with 297 joints and maybe the bearings in the axle. I might replace the hubs too, but I think i''m gonna leave the ball joints alone. I also thought about just getting a complete D30 from a 97+ and swapping that in. Which route would you go? I've looked at Quadratech, but where is the best place to get new axle shafts with 297 joints that will work in my 93? If I leave my axle in and go the rebuild route, what parts should I def. change?

Thanks

I just stuck a 97 d30 in the front of my junk.
It's bolt in.
I did redo some seals before it went in, just the outers that are easy to get at.
While it's out you might want to consider doing the UCA bushings, and the balljoints. It's much easier when it's on the shop floor rather than on jackstands under the Jeep.

I would swap in a late model High Pinion (pre 2000). Most Jeeps in scrap yards were hardly ever run in 4x4 anyway. Change the oil and you are done.

Isn't the 93 a vaccum motor CV joint axle? The late ones have no CV joints so the boots won't ever tear.

Na, it's not vacume actuated, and it has regular u joints. i do want to change out the whole thing, but I need a place to get one. any ideas in NC?

Thanks

Back