• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disapearing Headlights.... Argh!

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
Was driving through denver sunday night and all of a sudden I lose my head lights......Here is where it gets weird.
I could still pull back on my signal/highbeam lever and have highbeams, but only when i hold it back. It would stay in the mode by just switching them.
So i went and purchased some very new lights to replace them, they didnt work. I then checked the fuses and all the fuses are ok.
So, what do I need to be looking for in order to fix this issue?
Any ideas?

year, make, model, engine?

i had this or a simmular problem with my 87 2.5L XJ and it turned out that the headlight wire was disconected for some reason when i bought it. the headlights are on a seperate circut than the highbeams so you can flash the highs with the lights off.

its most likely your headlight switch.

i had this same issue a few weeks back.

Under your air filter box is the plug for the main wire harness for the headlights. If you test the switch and find it is still good check the plug there. It could be corroded.

Well, thanks gusy for the heads up.
I have some more issues that have risen up!
The Radio (aftermarket pioneer) now has issues since this uprising. All of the buttons on the radio do not coenside with what they are labeled...go figure? If i decide to change the CD, and hit the eject button, it will actually change the station? If i change the EQ then it will change the display?
Also in all of this, if I place the Gear selector in the 1-2 position, the tranny stays in 1 and wont come out, that of course be a good thing for crawling, yet all the other gears work just fine.
So! What do you think?

I believe it may be called that. The contacts in the switch tend to get dirty. The airbag cars should have the switch in the clamshell around the column, but I don't know where it is on the GM column cars. For the few times my lights didn't work, flicking the high-beam did the trick, so I haven't gone any deeper.

Mine died, they're currently wired into a toggle. However the guy that wired them accidentally wired the high beams on instead of the low beams. I'll be attempting t change the head light switch tomorrow.

I believe it may be called that. The contacts in the switch tend to get dirty. The airbag cars should have the switch in the clamshell around the column, but I don't know where it is on the GM column cars. For the few times my lights didn't work, flicking the high-beam did the trick, so I haven't gone any deeper.

My 96 was doing the same thing, I'd hit the high beams a couple of times and my low beams would come back on. I also thought it was the high low switch, it turned out to be the headlight switch. I'm guessing switching between high and low beams arched the contacts in the headlight switch just enough to work for awhile longer.

My 90 would lose headlights but when it happened every light in that circut went out which was head lights, tail lights, console lights, dash lights, and brake lights. It ended up being a loose connection at the power distribution block. I just cut the connector off and crimped a new one on and voila it solved the problem.

Back