• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running Flareless

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Just want some opinions on this what others think looks best and ups and downs.

Crap did notice the fender poll about 5 or 6 threads down.

Additional info would still help

Last edited:
IM000383.jpg

There's a pic with no flares on. I want to take my flares off and cut the fenders but I still need to cover my tires and don't feel like putting TJ flares or Bushwackers on.

well i just took off my flares and cut the fender opening a little further back. When it rains i get a nice spray from the tires on my windshield and hood. I have 4inch backspacing on 8inch wide rims with 33muds on right now. so with them sticking out that much further, i do get that much more tire sticking out from the wheelwell.
I think when it gets to snowing again, i will put the stock flares back on, just relocated a little higher than stock. Basically just to keep the snow flinging to a minimum.

That's pretty much why I want to keep flares on, other than to be legal, I just don't like flinging water and dirt onto my windshield if I don't need to.

I ran flareless for awhile with 8" rims w/ 4" backspacing and experienced the same as everybody else. The smallest water or mud puddle would completely cover my XJ so I cut the stock ones and put them back on. Here a pic:

IMG_5665.jpg

You do get very dirty when running naked.

This is with 31x10.50 on 7 inch stock rims.... They are only GY MTRs so they are not even that great of a mud tire

P9040009.JPG

Well got it done today see how it works cut it down so the holes for the flare are still there looks a lot better without . I covered the holes with a u groove trim so if i dont like it I can put the flares back on will post some pics later. The trim I used was from a suzuki sidekick or Geo tracker the inside door moulding paid $3 for about 60ft 2 doors worth love the local u pull it JY.

I have had my rear flares mounted with 3m auto tape for a long time now they have taken a few shots and never fell off. So if you mount them quick and go for inspection pull down the block rip em off. you should be fine.

thats a good idea. I tried taking a couple bolts off each flare and they all snapped. not looking forward for that either.

Thats what you will find with all the bolts think they make so you will break them so you have to buy new flares.

What you do is snap them all and if you want to remount in time use a cut off wheel and grind the backs of the stud down. it should break the weld when you get down enough.

Then i bought some stainless hardware and welded the screw head to the plate easy fix.
I also have my flares relocated using 53GUYS write up (the best ):guitar:

Just wanted to change the look for a while.

Back