• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents

Dozer11B

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have been looking around at different hood vents to cool my engine bay. I don't like the idea of possible allowing water or mud maybe gettingin ther a whole lot, so I was looking at something along the lines of a scoop, facing to the rear that would protect the hole in the hood a bit more. Here's one I found:

http://www.racecomposites.com/squarebolt.htm

It's small enough at 13L x 10.25W x 2H that it won't take up the WHOLE hood. Plus it's only $29.........

I was thinking of using it on one side of the hood or the other. I may shoot a non-contact laser thermometer into the engine bay or on the closed hood itself to see where it gets the hottest.

I like the fact that its bolt on, as opposed to stuck on the way some are.

You can look on gojeep's site I believe he did a 'yarn taped to hood' test to find the low/high pressure areas on the XJ's hood at different speeds. That way you could figure out where you'd want it for whatever speed you'd like to cool at.

I would think that no matter where you mount it, it will allow hot air out, obviously the further back (read: higher) the hotter the air allowed out.
If your mounting it scoop back (since your worried about moisture) then you'll want to mount it futher back anyway... as I think up front would look kinda silly.

I am in the process of putting LeBaron vents on mine... its sits in the garage until trail time so water soaking in isn't a problem... and if its outside long enough to get wet, its probably pretty hot anyway so rain would evaporate off quickly. What I mean to say is many people have the open style vents... so don't worry to much about moisture in the engine bay.

Either way, fire them up, take some pics and lets have a look see.

That's a great idea. One thought would be to put a mesh "grill" over the opening. I've known of people to throw trash and garbage randomly down a hood scoop just to be a jerk.

As for vents, I've played around with afew drip pan ideas to route any water that gets through the vents to a drain hose that could be routed anywhere.

Last edited:
I have had the lebaron vents for over 3 years now, with one issue ever after a torential downpour, even then it stumbled a bit on the way home. my jeep is never garaged, except durring periods of intence fabrication. With the lebaron hood vents i drove it and wheeled it for like two years without an electric fan, and only over heated once ever!

Find a place that does louvers and get them made to your preferance they will be cheaper and look the way you want them. I just had a set made up and am vey happy.

If you want will give you the name they will ship just fax the size and where you want the louvers.

Find a place that does louvers and get them made to your preferance they will be cheaper and look the way you want them. I just had a set made up and am vey happy.

If you want will give you the name they will ship just fax the size and where you want the louvers.

Can you post some pics of your's?

louvers.jpg

It was very cheap. A friends cousin has a machine/fab shop that does louvers. I had to cut the inner structure out of the center of the hood, but plan to weld it back in and reglue the skin to it like the factory did.

Back