• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 TRANNY PROBLEM.

madmaxj90

NAXJA Forum User
OK, NEW TO THE NAXJA. GOT A 90 XJ. WIRED UP THE LOCK OUT TO THE TCU ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO. EVERYTHING WORKED GREAT. 3 WEEKS AGO, WENT WHEELIN AND MY LOCK OUT LIGHT DIDNT LIGHT UP. THEN I DOTICED THAT THE TRANNY WAS SKIPPING OVER 2ND. TAKES OFF FINE IN 1ST, SKIPS 2ND AND GOES STRAIGHT TO THIRD.... AND NO ITS NOT "SLIPPING" IN SECOND. I CHECKED TCU FUSE. ALL SOLENOIDS. EVERYTHING SEEMS GOOD. GOT ANOTHER TCU AND TRIED SWAPPING IT. DIDNT HELP, TRIED ADJUST KICK DOWN CABLE. NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP. NO MATTER WHAT I DO, THIS THINGS NEVER TOUCHES SECOND. BEEN LIKE THIS FOR ALMOST A MONTH. AND YES I HAVE 12V TO THE TCU.

Rule number one here, get rid of the caps lock, if you want replys.

Sounds like an electric solenoid has gone bad, or its ground connection. They are just above the tranny pan, easy to reach. They can be tested with an ohm meter at the TCU.

sorry about the caps. kinda frustrating me..... so in my original post i said that i checked the solenoids and they are all good. the book says it should be between10-15 ohms. i had 13.8 and 13.9 in all of them. i've swapped tcu's with a known good one. swapped fuses, nothing seems to help. even disconnected the kick down cable thinking maybe it was pulled too tight or the valve was stuck.
thanks for your input

You have resistance within specs, good. Now, test for voltage to the solenoids.

Back