• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-ring ratings?

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I found out my local OSH sells D-rings. the 3/4" ones have WLL 4 3/4 T written on the side. I assume that means that the work load limit is 4.75 tons? Is this going to be enough to be safe using them for recovery?

you realize that 1 ton is 2000 lbs right? so 4 tons is 8000 lbs... divide .75 into 2000 and you got 1500 so your basically looking at 9500 lbs of work load limit. your xj is only 5000 lbs max. most people only run 9500 lb winches, your hitch isnt really even rated above 9500 lbs... with that being said... i would think they will work just fine.

yea I've gone through all that in my head before. However, I've also broken one of those Harbor Freight 8500k tow straps yanking someone out.

you put alot more force than the weight of your XJ on a shackle when pulling on it, almost double in some cases more. add to that the fact that most shackles get used to snatch people out not just a slow pull with a winch, and you're getting pretty close to your WLL.

but, i believe most shackles sold with recovery use intended are rated to 10,000# so you should be fine.

i can't say for sure though, just offering some advice.

Back