• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to make my own roof rack shovel mount

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a home made roof rack for my XJ and I'm unsure if the mounts for the wilderness racks will fit mine but i don't want to spend $80 either. How could I mount my shovel safely to the side of the rack and do it for less than buying a mount ?

maybe get some small u bolt or square bolts and some wing nuts. you would just have to make a small plate to go across.

Genius. Here's the rack, and the shovel. LOL Never leave home without it.

As you see there's already a plate there, if I could find a U bolt long enough to reach, couldn't I just drill 2 appropriate sized holes, and use wing nuts on the back side to hold it in place ?

Photo0040-1.jpg

About how I think it should go ?

Photo0045.jpg

Well while I'm at it, how should I mount my spare up there? The ratchet straps aren't exactly what I was looking for.

Ubolts and wing nuts work just fine
Picture007.jpg

That looks nice. I figured the rubber won't rust after one winter, so if I don't use the shovel all winter when spring rolls around I wont be grinding the wing nut off.

Your also not going to have it vibrate around and rotate inside the ubolts. It takes about 5 seconds to insert or remove an axe/shovel from these mounts. I have them on both of mine.

Your feet are also firmly planted on the ground instead of a slippery doorsill or tire in mud/snow trying to reach the wingnuts. They also wont fall and get lost in snow/mud.

OverlandXJ;[URL said:
http://www.endroad.com/page/page/675042.htm[/URL]

they also have fire extinguisher quick discos, very nice!
thanks for the link... been looking for the rubber extinguisher bands for a while now!

they also have fire extinguisher quick discos, very nice!
thanks for the link... been looking for the rubber extinguisher bands for a while now!

I picked one up as well, never used it yet. Need a new 5lb extinguisher. Add something else to the list i guess..

Back