• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Lock in Rain/Snow

NJ95JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My first post here, I've been busy boning up on all the great information people provide here. I searched for this topic, but didn't find anything directly answering my inquiry.

Anytime it rains/snows and my brakes get a bit wet, they lock up with the slightest tap. I know this isn't uncommon, as this problem is very apparent in both of my lightly-lifted XJ's. Lucky for me, I can engine brake with my manual transmission in coordination with the brakes to alleviate this problem. However, you can see how this will only do so much in rush hour traffic on the highway doing 70mph in the rain.

What can I do to beef up my brakes so they won't lock up so much? Sounds like a stupid question, I realize, because bigger discs/pads are an option as well as a disc conversion for the rear. I guess my real question is this: Will these upgrades actually help my brakes stop locking up? Or, will they jam just as easily once they get a bit wet/icy?

For reference, I've got a '95 4-door with about 4"-4.5" of mixed coil/aal and spacer/shackle combo lift running on 31x10.5 tires. That'll all get replaced soon enough once I sell my '99 2-door XJ 5spd (any takers?) and use the money for better parts.

If there is some earlier post that I missed, please point it out for me. Thanks in advance guys.

i would first try to inspect/clean out the rear drums. take the drum off and inspect for damage/debris. spray with brake cleaner. then spray and inspect the springs and pads. the "self" adjuster can cause lots of problems. i would remove, clean, lube with high temp grease and reinstall.

see how that works out.

Back