• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

back hatch key

93xjowner

NAXJA Forum User
I just baught a 93 jeep xj only got one key, will open doors and work to start jeep, but will not unlock or lock back hatch any ideas on getting a key for back hatch. thks Dan

Sounds like someone swapped out the liftgate lock before you got it. I see two options:

1) Get a full lock set, and replace all of the locks so they're on the same key. This will be a total of four locks - two front doors, liftgate, and steering column.

2) Pay a locksmith to "impression" a key for you (it's possible to make a key for a lock that you don't have the key for - but it's spendy...) and carry a second key.

It's debatable which option is more work - you can change most of the locks yourself, so that's not a big problem. The liftgate might pose a small problem (I haven't done it yet,) and the door locks will probably require new bezels installed as well, but you should be able to finish it fairly quickly. Since the OEM key is a symmetrical double-cut, the locksmith is going to have to impression one side then mirror it on the other - which is fun.

Aftermarket locksets usually are sold keyed (with keys,) while the OEM cylinders are usually sold "unkeyed" and you'd have to move the tumblers over yourself - do not screw it up. It's not difficult, you just have to make sure you do everything one step at a time. Finish that one step, then move on (so it's a bit time-consuming. But not really technically difficult.)

ok 5-90 ill talk to a locksmith thanks for the info

Don't forget to talk to your local parts house! They should be able to order aftermarket "Keyed Alike" kits, and it's probably going to be cheaper than impressioning (or even re-keying, come to think on it.)

Yes, a locksmith should be able to re-key your liftgate lock to match the other four - I just forgot about that the first time around. Rekeying will probably be cheaper than impressioning...

It's actually pretty easy to reverse engineer the locking mechanisms for car stuff - they're wafer locks, easily disassembled (at least in my opinion). I just did a custom "slave key" that only opens my glovebox today (only the first 3 positions are cut to the proper heights - the other four are left blank so it won't open the doors or turn the engine over), cost me $1.78 for the blank and $5 for a pair of locks out of the junkyard to play around with while figuring it out. I'll see if I can figure out a process for the back hatch after my next trip, I need a few scrap cylinders to play around with before I can get anywhere.

Got a pair of back hatch locks at the JY before work this morning. I'll be taking a look at it tonight, plus disassembling mine as it is gummed up. Hopefully these are as straightforward as glovebox locks.

Be careful taking the old one out and examine it. May just be stuck with old lube or crud and just needs a good cleaning.

Good Luck,
O

A locksmith can re-work the hatch lock to use the same key as your door/ignition.

All he would need is the key you want to use and the lock from the rear hatch.

If you have a pre-97, good luck on that back hatch (since you have a 93, you're pretty much screwed I think...) I got a few test subjects from the junkyard for five bucks this morning and they are impossible to disassemble and rekey without cutting the bezel off and crimping a new one back on afterwards. I'll be getting some 97+ test subjects tomorrow afternoon probably; since the lock on 97+ models is in the plastic bezel instead of being a push-in button style I may have better luck with those, though it doesn't help you much.

I had mine redone on my 1990 XJ by a locksmith. He got the bezel off rekeyed it & put it back together & it wasn't too bad in price. The lock was a working unit out of my parts XJ & I wanted the same key (if you saw my keyring you would understand). I would definatly try spraying PB blaster or some other penatrant into the lock to see if that fixes it first.

Back