• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading my steering...

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
SO i have been reading up on upgrading my steering and i am undecided on what to purchase.
I see there are 2 types, over the knuckle which is stronger and the Y design that maintains the stock steering Geometry.
The jeep isnt my daily driver so the OTK seems more of a choice for me. Can anyone recommend what they prefer and why?
Also, any links to vendors would be nice and greatly appreciated. Is it also better to make your own or just purchase one off the shelf?

Thank you in advance.

Julio

Last edited:
Wrong place mi compradre.

Julio.

Search the mod tech forum and look at doing the WJ front end swap.. That is the only way to get a true high steer that works.. If you have any bigger questions MJR has a write up on it over on jeepwire.com..

Julio,

Search the mod forum, you will find lots of info.

You can also find local guys that have reamed their knuckles from the top and ran the 1 ton OTK.

I have ran a couple of things from a simple HD tie rod to the 1 ton. I currently run the Currie Correct Link. It is awesome! A little pricey, but I don't regret it at all. It is not OTK, but it is beefy and tight!

Some things you can do is the WJ upgrade, Teraflex hi-steer knuckle, Off-Road Only U turn. Corbinafly was selling his front axle which has one to the best set-ups (IMO) out there. I think he has the Toys-By-Troy Aluminflex steering.

Good luck!

simple question, do you want to mess w/ axle-side trackbar locations?

ALL the exotic steering setups require it...
and the ones that dont, will result in minor to moderate rubbing/bumpsteer (jcr)

simple question, do you want to mess w/ axle-side trackbar locations?

ALL the exotic steering setups require it...
and the ones that dont, will result in minor to moderate rubbing/bumpsteer (jcr)

This is gonna sound like a noob response but im not sure what you mean when you say axle-side trackbar locations.

Is this where the trackbar mounts to the top as apposed to the bottom?

2hyb1j6.jpg

Julio, I can sleeve your tie rod as an improvement for the time being. I use Bulletproof brand and I think it's the strongest out there. After buying it though, I feel I could make the same thing for less money. I did have to make extensive mods to make it work though. The primary part that needs to be beefed up is the tie rod and it can be easily sleeved to add alot more strength. If you want to custom make a setup similar to the bulletproof, I'd be down for making one.

Julio, as you know I have the JCR OTK steering and now I regret it! Because you need to cut a lot out of the way A LOT! I’m at the point of cut and moving the spring bucket because steering hits the spring and bent the long TRE on the passenger side and now need to replace it $50.

Im running Currie steering on both of mine. Its beefy. Stock setup can be used as a spare.

Julio, I can sleeve your tie rod as an improvement for the time being. I use Bulletproof brand and I think it's the strongest out there. After buying it though, I feel I could make the same thing for less money. I did have to make extensive mods to make it work though. The primary part that needs to be beefed up is the tie rod and it can be easily sleeved to add alot more strength. If you want to custom make a setup similar to the bulletproof, I'd be down for making one.

that sounds good. Sleeving it at this point seems fucntional and cost effective. I can bring the tie rod with me the day of the Wrench party if you think you have time.

that sounds good. Sleeving it at this point seems fucntional and cost effective. I can bring the tie rod with me the day of the Wrench party if you think you have time.

or you can buy some steel and drop it off with the rest of your order...:wave1:

or you can buy some steel and drop it off with the rest of your order...:wave1:

Jesus! is there anything you cant do??? :p ill call you later. I got thsoe dana 44 parts returned so im gonna buy jesses ring and pinion. I think ANthony has a master install kit as well. Shits coming along nicely. Oh, i also have the fron axle out already. tackling the rear today so as soo as the gears come in ill be heading out your way.

Back